Thread: SFBomber release

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Reiter View Post
    The speed is lower now with the new release.
    I noticed. It's a lot more playable now.

Well, you have to press a key after your plane disappeared from the screen. I now introduced a message hinting on this. Or don't you respawn even after pressing a key?
    I'm not sure anymore. But with rc3 I didnt have this issue anymore.

Could you give me more details on this behaviour? Do these things affect you? Do you lose lives? Actually the lists containig bullets or explosions are cleared when you die. This is a strange behaviour. Have no solution at hand right now. I remember having similar behaviour when the lists wheren't cleared properly in an earlier stage of development. However they should be cleared properly now.
    I believe it's from a bomb getting destroyed. Now that the game is not so fast anymore I can see an explosion right after you gain control over the plane after a respawn.
    Edit: I noticed that it's from pressing spacebar while the plane is still making its entrance. There's is no visible bomb but after gaining control, the destruction from the bomb seems to be there.

This should be fixed now. When you use ESC and press any key after the plane disappeared from screen, you should always just get back to the main menu. It's a strange ending, however, it is also strange for a jet pilot to decide to self-destruct its million dollar jet .
    I'm not sure what you fixed, but I still see the -1 and plane destruction (unless perhaps this is intensional). I also noticed that if you press escape without having scored points your quit the game entirely instead of returning to the menu.

What do mean exactly by nothing happens? Is it like you got locked by an endless loop? So no plane?
    Yes, but I've not encountered this in rc3, yet.

Someone else also mentioned troubles with the highscore. Also deleting the file fixed it for him. I never experienced any problems with the highscore file.The highscore file is manipulated at three points only. 1) Read or created at the initilization of the game. 2) When opening the highscore table from the main menu. 3) When you have enough points to put yourself to the highscore. I guess the troubles are related to the file manipulation at 3). I have to check this whole procedure again.
    EDIT: I probably found the problem. Did you just press enter without typing in a name when you are asked for it? This at least lets the score.dat get corrupt. The next time you try to start the game the window stays blank. Now I fixed this with release of 0.9 RC3.
    That might have been the case. It seems fixed now.

Two other things I noticed.
    - lifes is spelled lives
    - when you die and the plane is against the right screen you can still move the plane, causing the plane to shake.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Neat looking game. Would have made a great entry into the last PGD Challenge!
    Thanks. Even though I thought about this I felt it would be unfair to submit a game which I spent several years to made when the time frame for development actually is rather short. From what I saw I also recognized that my game should be doomed to failure if compared.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    I believe it's from a bomb getting destroyed. Now that the game is not so fast anymore I can see an explosion right after you gain control over the plane after a respawn.
    Edit: I noticed that it's from pressing spacebar while the plane is still making its entrance. There's is no visible bomb but after gaining control, the destruction from the bomb seems to be there.
    I could reproduce this. I fixed it.

I'm not sure what you fixed, but I still see the -1 and plane destruction (unless perhaps this is intensional). I also noticed that if you press escape without having scored points your quit the game entirely instead of returning to the menu.
    The "fixed" was related to the statement that sometimes you get back to the main menu and sometimes leave the game completely on using ESC.

I could reproduce that if no score was achieved the game seems to close completely on ESC. I fixed this now. The appearance of -1 as Life count was intentionally (as an indication that ESC was pressed), however since it raised so much confusion I now changed it.

Two other things I noticed.
    - lifes is spelled lives
    - when you die and the plane is against the right screen you can still move the plane, causing the plane to shake.
    Both fixed.

Thanks Traveler for your support! Without your statements 0.9 RC4 wouldn't be as stable as it is now. With the new release the plane is also slightly faster.
    Last edited by Reiter; 07-08-2011 at 04:56 PM.

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Hi Reiter, I've ran your latest RC4 and it's loading/running perfectly albeit the gameplay is incredibly quick. I'm not sure if this your desired speed but it's nearly impossible to dodge fire. Given you've lowered the speed and Traveler states it's playable and given my CPU clocks over 4ghz this might suggest that your timing routines or some aspect of your code are/is not CPU independant (that rate of the action depends on the speed of the CPU) if this is not the case then I'm getting old because I'm not fast enough!

Other than that, love it! I love the graphical style and excellent choice of music, You've put a lot of retro love into this game and it shows, It reminds me of Jet-strike (on the amiga) keep up the good work!
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

Quote Originally Posted by Reiter
    My thanks go to Freepascal-meets-SDL who are hosting the website.
    Welcome. You know my opinion about your game already.

Quote Originally Posted by phibermon
    Hi Reiter, I've ran your latest RC4 and it's loading/running perfectly albeit the gameplay is incredibly quick. I'm not sure if this your desired speed but it's nearly impossible to dodge fire. Given you've lowered the speed and Traveler states it's playable and given my CPU clocks over 4ghz this might suggest that your timing routines or some aspect of your code are/is not CPU independant (that rate of the action depends on the speed of the CPU) if this is not the case then I'm getting old because I'm not fast enough!
    Sorry for the delayed reply, have been busy last days. I thought about this and decided to make a video. I embedded it to the initial post. Please let me know if it runs faster on your machine compared to the video. In this case there really seems to be a CPU dependence. Actually I don't know what the reason could be then since there is no CPU specific code at all. By the way I noticed the video seems to be laggy a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by phibermon
    Other than that, love it! I love the graphical style and excellent choice of music, You've put a lot of retro love into this game and it shows, It reminds me of Jet-strike (on the amiga) keep up the good work!
    Thanks for these encouraging words ! Appreciated your opinion .

Quote Originally Posted by Freepascal-meets-SDL
    You know my opinion about your game already.
    I do!