View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a live chat system on PGD?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

3 14.29%
  • Yes

18 85.71%

Thread: AJAX Chatbox for Pascal developers?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Well it seems that this is a wanted feature to some degree in some capacity. So I may pursue this in the near future.

I'm more inclined to use a web-based approach to start as it is the most accessible right now, but this does not restrict the option for an app for other platforms later down the road. The web-based approach would be the most friendly to all parties involved, just based off the availability to load web pages and use AJAX extensions from JavaScript via HTML on mobile devices as well as other work and home computers.

My biggest influence is easy of access for everyone in the community so I will focus on this. The rest is about security and easy of maintenance.

IRC unfortunately doesn't really fit into this mold very well. It would rely on 3rd party applications, registration and lay on the whims of other public IRC servers. Not a combination I'm comfortable with when it comes to keeping an environment that is pleasant for our community members. There is no reason however that any of you couldn't start up a #PGD channel on an IRC server somewhere to chat, however this has been done before and it slowly faded into oblivion over time.

Suggestions are still of course welcomed and of course interest will help show me your demand for such a feature on PGD.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

even if i'm an IRC user, i'm agree that IRC will cut off many people who don't want to use a 3rd party IRC software just for go on the channel. A web solution will be open for all and will be painless.
    Current (and lifetime) project: FAR Colony
    https://www.farcolony.com/

Blog Entries
    Well I've setup a instance of AJAX Chat at http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/chat/ Feel free to test it out. I'm not done modifying the script and the layout yet, but this will serve as a testbed/trial to see how it will work for PGD Members.

Comments/Suggestions welcome!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder