Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
I would like to eventually build an actual chat client/app that allows access to PGDs login system and acts as part notification system, part IM/PM messaging and chat management software. Such spinoff ideas could be akin to Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer plugins. Maybe even plugins for other popular chat clients if a PGD community API were to be made.
I think that making a standalone chat application is great idea, and it isn't even so hard to do. All you need is special purposed web application wich runs on PGD server and Client application that runs on Clients computer. With this we also get the ability to design our own protocol and thus prevent spaming. But comnining this system with existing PGD comunity site and forum, might not be so easy. It largly depends on what technology is used for PGD site and forum.
As far as browser extensions are consirned I'm personlly aginst them. Why? Browser extensions run at the same time than your browser. This means that PGD chat will run even when you might not it to (quicly looking something on the web wich isn't related to programing or PGD comunity). Another drawback of broser pliguns is alck of space for any decen UI.
So having standalone application alows you to have full control off when you want to use it, and would alow us having much better UI.

As for notifiications why don't we just use RSS feeds. Most browsers nowadays already have RSS news reader support integrated in them. Also it is posible to get RSS reader application for just any mobile phone wich supports web browsing.