View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a live chat system on PGD?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

3 14.29%
  • Yes

18 85.71%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AJAX Chatbox for Pascal developers?

I would be interested in the chat feature
    It seems good from my tiny play...

cheers,
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Oh sorry. Its definitely useful and I have a decent chat with it (the updating could be a tad smoother ?) and a few more people to use it too could be good.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Blog Entries
    I was thinking of holding regular chat sessions. Or perhaps a mini-webinar of sorts. Would anyone be interested in that taking place in the PGD Chat?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Yes indeed, count me in
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

i think a live chat system for a forum is a very bad idea .... it simply defeats the point of a forum - the point being that answers can be searched and found from the site and search engines - live chat can not, which means people repeat the same questions/answers over and over, and in the future when no one posts useful information - knowledge is lost....
    Download the Ziron Assembler
    Get free hosting for Ziron related fan-sites and Ziron projects, contact me in private message.

Hi guys.

I think that the chat feature is great. We are a small community and I think we need to search new ways for sticking out togheter

Sometimes I feel the need to talk with somoneone about some problem and I preffer it over a post in a forum. It gives me a faster feedback, I can make jokes with other person and have more fun from it. It is just more interactive I agree that some of the knowledge might be lost because of that, but we can save the logs and made it avalaible for futre searching.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    i think a live chat system for a forum is a very bad idea .... it simply defeats the point of a forum - the point being that answers can be searched and found from the site and search engines - live chat can not, which means people repeat the same questions/answers over and over, and in the future when no one posts useful information - knowledge is lost....
    That is partialy true. But when you see that pepole are asking the same questions over and over again then you know what interests pepole the most. So we can use this information for instance to go and prepare some useful tutorials wich would provide answers to theese questions.
    Many other sites and different comunities use similar aproach. The difference is that most of them use IRC chating system.

Also live chating with other pepole can easily point you in the right direction.
    I remember the time when I was live chating with one of my friends (a begginer programer) with the use of Windows Live Messenger. As a newbe programer he usualy didn't even know how to properly adress a problem and therefore didn't even know how to properly ask for help. He only knew what he likes to do but had no idea of how to do this. So many times I helped him just by pointing him to search for right topics.
    And do you know how we became friends? He was posting his questions on Delphi-si fomunity forum but becouse his questions were poorly defined he didn't get any useful answers to them. So one day when I was trying to answer on of his topics (we exchanged a lot of post in just one day) I asked him to use Messenger instead. And with that I gave him an opurtunity to actualy explain me what exacly he wanted to do. So now I was able to point him in the right direction for solving his problem. And a few days later he solved his problem almost on his own by using the documentation and various articles that I pointed him to.

If we want to improve Pascal Game Development Comunity we must at first make it newbe friendly. I don't mean for a newbe programes but for newbe game designers. Why? Most newbe game designers won't know how to ask question in the right way for us to easily find the soulution to their problems just as it was with my friend. And I belive that Chat system can help a lot on this area but it would require more active participation from the comunity. If there is noone online then it doesn't serve its purpose.

I also found a workaround for AJAX Chatbox frequent logouts. When you are loging into a PGD forum you must chek RememberMe checkbox. This creates a permament sesion and thus doesn't log you out from checkbox after some time of inactivity (forum browsing inactivity, activity in Chatbox doesn't count). Last time I was able to stay loged into the chat system for about three hours this way (noone else was present at that time).

Blog Entries
    Not to knock anybody's point of view, but from what I can tell the AJAX Chat box does seem to continue to be voted up as it goes along. I'm getting more and more inclined to keep it and promote it more on the site as a viable solution for members wanting to connect with other Pascal game programmers.

Now of course I don't think it'll replace posting in forum threads and I wouldn't want it to either as the PGD forums provide an important role for many many things. It does however give us new opportunities with specific regard to online gatherings. With such technology in use, we could organize talks, Q&A sessions, conferences and meets to connect the community better.

Such ideas are being discussed behind the curtain so stay tuned to see what we come up with. And please... keep testing it out! http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/chat/
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I have never found browser based chat sessions much use, unless arranged for specific things (like the during race chats on GPRO.net).

I do however use skype and MSN as they run on my desktop and actually tell me that there is a new message, instead of me having to page to a specific browser page to see if anyone has said anything.

As we are a bunch on programmers should we not be creating our own chat protocal that everyone can then use in their own way?
    William Cairns
    My Games: http://www.cairnsgames.co.za (Currently very inactive)
    MyOnline Games: http://TheGameDeveloper.co.za (Currently very inactive)

Blog Entries
    @cairnswm: Guess what my suggestion was...

@everybody: Still, now I look at the proposition from a 3rd party standpoint - its not half bad. Even if we don't come up with a revamped IRC protocol which (wait for it) could be legend - a simple chat protocol solves everything: we have the code - pascal as we are now discussing is web capable, and cross platform so Windows, Linux, mac and web/smartphone users are satissfied. Further - its our own protocol: spam wont even know how to access it in the first place, let alone flood it... Although the AJAX chat is nice and yes ticks most of the boxes -I do find it a ruddy big pain in the... workflow (for the record I was going to say workflow) and I hate wasting my resources by having all my 300tabs in firefox open just for a chat page if you know what I mean...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast