View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a live chat system on PGD?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

3 14.29%
  • Yes

18 85.71%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: AJAX Chatbox for Pascal developers?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    and I hate wasting my resources by having all my 300tabs in firefox open just for a chat page if you know what I mean...
    Yes and no. If you are referring to a situation like me where you abuse the amount of tabs and windows you should normally have open at a time, then yes. However a solution could be to use an alternative browser for the chat page, be better organized and not like this hippocrite and stop abusing your poor web browser or load it up on your iPad or tablet and set it beside your dev rig as a second screen.

Those are the simple immediate solutions. I would like to eventually build an actual chat client/app that allows access to PGDs login system and acts as part notification system, part IM/PM messaging and chat management software. Such spinoff ideas could be akin to Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer plugins. Maybe even plugins for other popular chat clients if a PGD community API were to be made.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    I would like to eventually build an actual chat client/app that allows access to PGDs login system and acts as part notification system, part IM/PM messaging and chat management software. Such spinoff ideas could be akin to Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer plugins. Maybe even plugins for other popular chat clients if a PGD community API were to be made.
    I think that making a standalone chat application is great idea, and it isn't even so hard to do. All you need is special purposed web application wich runs on PGD server and Client application that runs on Clients computer. With this we also get the ability to design our own protocol and thus prevent spaming. But comnining this system with existing PGD comunity site and forum, might not be so easy. It largly depends on what technology is used for PGD site and forum.
    As far as browser extensions are consirned I'm personlly aginst them. Why? Browser extensions run at the same time than your browser. This means that PGD chat will run even when you might not it to (quicly looking something on the web wich isn't related to programing or PGD comunity). Another drawback of broser pliguns is alck of space for any decen UI.
    So having standalone application alows you to have full control off when you want to use it, and would alow us having much better UI.

As for notifiications why don't we just use RSS feeds. Most browsers nowadays already have RSS news reader support integrated in them. Also it is posible to get RSS reader application for just any mobile phone wich supports web browsing.

As for the current AJAX chat box I think that to litlle pepole even know about it. Why? Whenever I'm online in chat I see that just a few different pepole ever tries finding sombody online there.
    Also as I have been writing already in some posts before I found solution for constant loguts from chat. All you have to do is that when you login to PGD comunity site you check the Rembember me Checkbox. This creates permament sesion so you don't get automaticly loged out from the PGD comunity site. And since AJAX chat uses the same sesion this means that you can also be premamently loged into the chat. Offcourse if you want you can still log out from the chat itself with the logut button and still remain loged int to PGD comunity site.
    About a weak ago I managed to be online for more than 14 hours without any interuptions by using this means.

So if you want this chat system to be trully tested put a permament link on the fron site and do post instructions of how should pepole login so that they won't be suffering off automatic logouts. This is the only way we can get more pepole using it.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    I would like to eventually build an actual chat client/app that allows access to PGDs login system and acts as part notification system, part IM/PM messaging and chat management software. Such spinoff ideas could be akin to Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer plugins. Maybe even plugins for other popular chat clients if a PGD community API were to be made.
    Actually, this would be a fantastic idea. I myself try to stay away from AJAX/JS based chat systems as they tend to slow down and even crash browsers; even though such systems are sometimes provided with forum software and/or as an add-on. A PGD notification system and chat would be interesting to try, especially if it could run on iPad.

Blog Entries
    I'd tried messing with the sql support in the FPC fcl a while back - with the values supplied by blueimp in their implementation except that the challenge then is to get it to talk with the vBulletin login information or at least be able to query the PGD database for info in order to talk with it... If anyone is up for something like that maybe it'd be worth putting together a small team and get a community app driven - something nice which involves a bit of everyone and gives the community more of a 'open source' type working together team feel thats so nice about some of those open source initiatives
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

vBulletin is written in php. The easiest way for a thick client app to talk to a web page is for custom php services to be created that return the info you want. For example we create a hallo world call like this (psuedo code)

helloworld.php
    <?php
    $name = getParam("name");
    echo "Hello $name";
    ?>

and this can be called from a browser like http://localhost/helloworld.php?name=William
    and it returns a text string contianing "Hello William\n".

This can the be included inside a Delphi/Freepascal program as an HTTP call to the server. The result comes back as text and can be loaded into a TStringList to interpret.

These services can be created as needed for example
    logincheck.php?username=cairnswm&md5password=klh54 lkjh3kjndklj43
    fetchlatest.php?username=cairnswm&chatroom=pgdchat &lastid=1243
    addchat.php?username=cairnswm&chatroom=pgdchat&com ment=Hi guys, long time no see
    etc

I currently run a software deployment and discovery system covering about 200 servers using this system. Each server every 5 minutes asks for a list of new deployments that are relvant for it. If a new deployment is identified it asks for details and then does an FTP of the required files. After that it again tells the server if it was successful or not and what the new version is.

I have also written a full website for my GPRO.net team where each persons data is loaded to the website using services like this.

My examples above are not good examples as the whole system should work on session tokens rather than usernames.
    William Cairns
    My Games: http://www.cairnsgames.co.za (Currently very inactive)
    MyOnline Games: http://TheGameDeveloper.co.za (Currently very inactive)

Blog Entries
    Anyone making regular use (or trying) of the AJAX Chat?

The test version is still up in case anybody was curious or is still interested in it's use.

I was interested in using it for talks and the like. Having a virtual PGDCon or something.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I think main problem of this chat is using a browser... As for me it will be better to use jabber conference(because my Pidgin is always online when my computer is on), but unfortunately not everyone have a jabber account(as I can see - Skype is more popular ).

Blog Entries
    Would a kind of app that hooks into the DB work better for you? I sometimes turn on my Safari App on my iPad and set it beside my computer while I'm working.

There are solutions like this we can explore. And it would be especially useful should we design a series of webinar-like talks if we ever get that going...
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Here is an idea!
    Why don't we use Smart Mobile Studio to make instant chat system of our own. Its capability to make Html5 based applications could come in werry handy. We can use it to make server core application, web acces aplication wich can then be integrated into PGD site itself and even standalone clients.
    Unfortunatly I have werry litle expirience on this field therefore I can't offer much asistance but I'm sure there are PGD members wich have expirience in making multiplayer games and network based applications. They can come werry handy in development of our own chat system. And becouse of Smart Mobile Studio they won't have to learn new programing language to do this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234