Thread: TexturePacker and PhysicsEditor

TexturePacker and PhysicsEditor

Hey guys,
    first of all this post might be in the wrong category. But I don't where it would be a better fit.

A while ago I found TexturePacker which is a tool to generate a texture atlas out of a number of images. I've Paul's Image Packer so far but TexturePacker provides multi-platform support. There are also additional settings like rotating or cropping a few images to save some space in the big texture atlas image.

From the same author another tool called PhysicsEditor which allows you to create and manipulate physic-based shapes and export it to different formats.

As expected both TexturePacker and PhysicsEditor don't support any Pascal engines at the moment, but the generated output for other game engines (which is XML, JSON, plain text or PList) can be processed quite easily using some standard XML libraries for FreePascal or Delphi.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Lightbulb

Hi,

I am Andreas Loew - author of the two tools mentioned above. If one of the formats already available is ok it would be good - otherwise I could add new formats which better fit your needs.
    Just let me know ;-)

Cheers
    Andreas

Blog Entries
    Look who I just un-moderated.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I'm already using TexturePacker for the iOS port of Dreams of a Geisha and I will use it to all my new games!

Excellent toll and great support! =)

I'm using the Sparrow Exporter, for now I only have the basic support for it (No Trim or Rotation), but I heard that some day ZenGL game engine may support it natively! : P

I totally want to add texture packing support to nxPascal. Important thing just is that it has an editor that is full featured and free. I made one such simple packer for bmp files many years ago so there is some code base.

I also discovered the difficulty of making such algorithm that would make the tightest possible fit... and it really is a complex mathematical problem. Because there may be 1000 sprites where each have millions of choices for possible location. So what i did was simple "magnetic pull" on sprites towards top left corner and was able to move obstacle sprites around with cursor Because for some problems human eye can see things quicker.