Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linderdaum Engine

Linderdaum Engine

We have updated our site with some new screenshots from our recent 3D Engine demo. Among the new features we've got a GLSL-centric shaders management subsystem. Currently we're engaged in Engine's code refactoring. Requirements for resources management subsystem have changed, so we need to implement some things (well, actually there's one thing - fully asynchronous resources streaming, but it will take some time before it will be done). The completion of this stuff will be a considerable milestone.

If you are interested - check it out.

Feel free to ask questions.
    --
    <br />Sergey K.
    <br />Linderdaum Project Coordinator
    <br />http://linderdaum.gamedot.ru
    <br />netsurfer@au.ru

Linderdaum Engine

Don't know how I missed this one. Very cool screen shot indeed!!
    When will you be releasing a demo/game?
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Linderdaum Engine

I think I stumbled across their site about 1.5 years ago, and they were just getting started. The progress is stunning!

What is the engine written in? Do you use BSP, Quad-trees, or Octree?

Linderdaum Engine

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kosek
    What is the engine written in? Do you use BSP, Quad-trees, or Octree?
    Those engine was written in FreePascal. It uses simple Quad-tree and slightly modified Geomipmapping approach.

We've dropped a pascal version a couple of month ago and switched to C++. If someone in Pascal-community is interested in maintaining this rig and could supply a hosting for it - contact me freely. Anyway we're planning to release it opensource one day.
    --
    <br />Sergey K.
    <br />netsurfer@au.ru

Linderdaum Engine

Hi Sergey,
    I need to ask, why the move away from FreePascal, now that it works on Win32, Linux, FreeBSD and MacOS why move the engine to C/C++? What can C/C++ give you that FreePascal will not?

If you really do plan to release the sourcecode, then I would suggest creating a SourceForge project for it as that would allow people to get at the source code and to keep the project alive in some way.

It is a pity that this project is being moved to C/C++ as it shows that great looking 3D engine are just as easily coded in Pascal as C/C++
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Linderdaum Engine

Quote Originally Posted by savage
    I need to ask, why the move away from FreePascal, now that it works on Win32, Linux, FreeBSD and MacOS why move the engine to C/C++? What can C/C++ give you that FreePascal will not?
    It's easier to find skilled developers for C++. At some point we were stuck due to unability in finding people. Enthusiastic development is troublesome As for me, i'd like to see if one could port it to Linux or MacOS (i dont' know the situation with memory-mapped files under MacOS, but i think it is solvable).

If you really do plan to release the sourcecode, then I would suggest creating a SourceForge project for it as that would allow people to get at the source code and to keep the project alive in some way.
    Maybe that's a good idea, but unfortunatly i have no time to maintain it. If someone is interested - i'll try to supply him all basic info on building the engine and about necessary file formats so he could make a brief documentation for developers etc. But no one is eager to take it up at this moment.
    It is a pity that this project is being moved to C/C++ as it shows that great looking 3D engine are just as easily coded in Pascal as C/C++
    I think the methodology doesn't matter. As for Pascal vs C++ - it would be interesting to support identical data formats for both engine's, at least for some time.
    --
    <br />Sergey K.
    <br />netsurfer@au.ru

Blog Entries

Linderdaum Engine

Hmm... it is truely a shame. I know alot of developers shy away from Pascal becasue of the lack of attention it receives. However there is recently a large wave of budding new developers that are moving to Pascal of recent. Hopefully with our growing community we'll see less of this kind of survival-type descisions being made.

:lol: who knws maybe we'll see you back at a Pascal version of the engine in a few years? I sure hope so.

Best of luck with the engine, Sergey.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Linderdaum Engine

Seems this topic is dead... So, at least this is the reason!
    --
    <br />Sergey K.
    <br />netsurfer@au.ru

Old demos.

I've uploaded a couple of old demos, sources and other stuff to my blog at

http://www.livejournal.com/users/corporateshark/

Sorry for Russian page.
    --
    <br />Sergey K.
    <br />netsurfer@au.ru

Linderdaum Engine

Hi Sergey, the demo looks pretty good. Is it possible to drive the hover craft around?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast