Thread: Freepascal programs and Linux distros?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Freepascal programs and Linux distros?

Hi all,
    I wasn't sure where to put this post LOL

Anyway, I am attempting to make a cross-platform "engine" that will run under Windows, and at least Linux (maybe Mac OSX later on...).

The engine is inside a DLL on Windows, and I know that I need to make a .SO version under Linux...

I am happy with how it is running under windows, but now I want to see if I can add Linux code and then when ready, run/install the engine in the Linux distro (Ubuntu to start with).

I have installed Ubuntu into a virtual machine and will install Lazarus-freepascal into it, but I have no idea how to go about installing my freepascal app!!!

I am used to having the engine DLL in the same folder as the application exe under Windows, but I guess this isn't done this way using Linux when installing .SO dynamic libraries?

If not, how does one 'install' a freepascal program (using a precompiled .SO + application) in a Linux distro? Do I need to put the .SO file somewhere in the system where the app will find it?

Also where would I put program resources like archives and other files that it loads from? Again I am used to looking in sub-folders of the app folder (using ExtractFilePath(ParamStr(0)) and similar stuff), but I don't think this is going to work in Linux?

cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by paul_nicholls; 23-08-2011 at 04:16 AM.