View Poll Results: Are you interested in the Sushi Quest engine?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I would pay for a license

3 12.50%
  • Yes, but only if free

11 45.83%
  • Yes, other option (explain)

5 20.83%
  • Not interested

5 20.83%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My game engine

My game engine

Hello, I'm thinking of releasing my game engine soon (the one that was used for Sushi Quest, Splash Ball and Icarus Sky, all of them released on the App Store). This engine is a continuation of the LEAF engine that I released to the public some years ago. As far as I know this is the pascal engine that currently supports more platforms (windows, mac, linux and iOS), just write code once, and compile it for each platform (with an included resource optimizer)
    While I'd love to release it for free, I want to port it to Android, and to fix the problems it currently has running on iPad and 2nd gen iPhones, and I need some money for buying the testing devices (I only have a iPod touch).

I could sell licenses for the engine (something not too expensive like $100), or I could setup a donation system.
    Or if any of you here are interested in doing the Android port or fixing the iOS compatibility, then I would gladly release it for free.
    What are your opinions?

Some of the features of the engine:
    - Optimized openGL renderer, supporting lightmaps, shadowmaps, normalmapping, deferred rendering, toon shading, reflections, fur and more
    - GUI system with support for animations
    - Very simple to use API, fully class based (no components)
    - Physics integration with Newton

I believe who ever can make a engine that works well with XE2 will have a killer engine on their hands. I am assuming xe2 is what it is cracked up to be and that with a good engine making use of fire monkey we can make good solid casual games for pc, mac and ios. And being based on work that embarcadero has created and maintain it should also be much more stable across various hardware compared to the engines we see that have been put together by single person with access to limited hardware. Any that's my 2 c worth.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

I don't know much about XE2, will that be cross-platform?

yes, with xe2 you can target pc, 64bit, macosx and iOS (ipad etc). Firemonkey is a new vcl that uses directx or opengl depending on the platform. Firemonkey also seems to allow access at a more basic level so it should be easy enough to create a engine that will work on a number of platforms. That opens up some exciting possibilities.

I hope it will be free...

What will be free? Delphi XE2 - the starter edition will be available from day on for $100 (I believe). And from what I understood cross platform will be in the starter version.

nice to hear

i like to see a donation system, if i would sell a game i would definitely donate some bucks to support you

Quote Originally Posted by czar View Post
    What will be free? Delphi XE2 - the starter edition will be available from day on for $100 (I believe). And from what I understood cross platform will be in the starter version.
    Yes my friend this is true but...
    I start really like the compination of Free Pascal and Lazarus and i like to see it action with the engine...
    Plus don't forget...
    To many projects out there is really a refreash of old projects and old ideas so anything free is good for the community...
    And if you like delphi XE2 so many (without testing and working with it), maybe you take parts of this free engine and use it yourself....

Free always is a good choice...

sorry misunderstood - there was no context to your reply so I thought it was direct reply to my post. BUt I agree, I doubt I would pay for a delphi based game engine - it would have to be something very special in a market with many alternatives available.

Blog Entries
    LOL, I'm one of the other reason people simply because it hit the mobile platforms and looked a masterpiece too... And I've been meaning to get into mobile development a while now and the code behind the 3d on those devices is very much of interest to me. However, I only support open source so if putting in some extra help to get it over to Android (my target platform in the first instance anyway) is what it takes to get it open sourced I'd have to be honest and say count me in that boat.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast