Thread: One night fun - Script language

One night fun - Script language

Yesterday night I read an article about writing a script language and decided to give it a try. When I suddenly realised it's over 4 A.M., I decided it's time to sleep... Still, as for the first time coding something like this, it turned out quite well, I daresay.

Contains nothing more than text drawing, variable handling, ifs, repeat and label+goto, but if someone has too much spare time - what do I care, check it out.

Download: 'ere
    Thing requires SDL, SDL_ttf and SDL_gfx. Linux and Win32. Usage: ./parser < scriptfile

Code:
    A short guide:
    - One command per line
    - All fields separated by a space
    - Commands are case-sensitive, must be in lowercase 

Commands:
    windowsize W H - create a window with given size
    drawtext X Y COL TXT - print TXT at X,Y with COL color. Variables can be printed too.
    clrscr COL - fill the screen with given color
    line XA YA XB YB COL ALPHA - draw a line between points. Alpha is optional.
    rect XA YA XB YB COL ALPHA - fill a rectangle with color. Alpha is optional.
    circle XA YA XB YB RAD COL ALPHA - draw a filled circle. Alpha is optional.
    trigon XA YA XB YB XC YC COL ALPHA - draw a trigon. Alpha is optional.
    random VAR MIN MAX - assign a random value in range (MIN - MAX) to VAR. 
                         If Min is ommited, range is (0 - MAX-1). 
                         If both are ommited, range is (0, 100).
    updategfx - self-explanatory
    autoupdate on/off - turn on/off automatic updategfx call after every command
    delay TIME - sleep for TIME miliseconds
    windowname TXT - set TXT for window name
    quit - halt the whole thing

Declaring an integer: int NAME VALUE
    Referencing an integer: $NAME
    Freeing an integer: trash $NAME
    Assigning a value: $NAME := VALUE
    If no value is specified, variables are set to 0 on declaration. If a variable is not assigned, referencing it will return 0. If a variable name is in use, declaring a new variable shadows the old one (making it completely inaccesible!) until the new one is trashed.

Math expressions must be put in brackets - [VAL1 OPER VAL2]. No spaces between values and brackets!
    Operator list:
    + - * /
    % modulo
    ^ power
    & | X and or xor
    _ cut off modulo VAL2 (8 _ 3 is 6) 

VALs can be variables, expressions or constants. Hex constants can be written like this: #HEXVAL.
    Example: $VAR := [[$POS + 50] _ #20]   

You can also use the short operators:
    += -= *= /= %= ^= &= |= X= _= 

Conditionals:
    if VAL1 OPER VAL2
       command
       else
       command
       fi

Loop:
    repeat
    command
    until VAL1 OPER VAL2

Boolean operators:
    = < > >= <= <>
    &= all VAL2 bits are set in VAL1
    _= VAL1 is divisable by VAL2
    Boolean expressions not implemented. ([$A - $B] = [$B - $C] is possible, but not [$A > $B] = [$B > $C]) 

Procedures - declaration:
    proc NAME
         some code here
    corp

Procedures - calling:
    call NAME ARG ARG ARG ARG (...)

Arguments can be retrieved inside a function using $ARG:X: variables, where :X: is the argument number, beginning from 0. Note that procedure declaration does not specify its argcount - amount of arguments passed is left solely to the decision of the caller. The aforementioned amount is stored in the $ARG? variable (yes, with the qoutation mark). You can use the return VAL command to force quit a procedure and, optionally, return a value. It will be available in the $RESULT variable. All variable handling is done in the same global context, so you can access all variables normally - but You also must remember to trash all variables created by a procedure. ARGs are trashed automatically when a procedure ends and should NOT be freed manually, as automatic trash will still occur, corrupting the variable set. (Easily noticeable in a recursive procedure).

Example:
    proc power
         if $ARG1 = 0
            return 1
            fi
         if $ARG1 _= 2
            call power $ARG0 [$ARG1 / 2]
            return [$RESULT * $RESULT]
            fi
         call power $ARG0 [$ARG1 - 1]
         return [$ARG0 * $RESULT]
    corp
    (Tested to work, works circa 10x slower than the built-in ^ operator.)

The parser itself creates and updates seven variables.
    $MOUSEX - mouse position
    $MOUSEY - as above
    $CLICK - 0 for no click, 1 - left button, 2 - middle, 3 - right
    $CLICKX - click position
    $CLICKY - as above
    $TICKS - time running (in ms)
    $QUITREQUEST - when the user presses the "Close" button, this is set to 1
    I think that's all. A few sample scripts are included.
    Last edited by Super Vegeta; 02-02-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    Neat!

I remember my first game 'script' I made up for my top-down space shooter. Never released the game/engine (not even as an alpha) but it was fun to make. The idea of mine was to script events or triggers within the level/mission. Idea being that you could script each mission you player, much like the old X-Wing level editors, only in text script. I may consider going back to doing something like that in a future project. Maybe something for the iPad.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Nice work. The simpler, the better. I like it.

Some years ago I did an scripting engine based in FORTH, but I never used it. Actually it was very ugly and scripts were dirty; anyway it was funny and I learned a lot.
    No signature provided yet.

Gave it some extra work. Added drawing primitives (easy), but mostly - procedures. Took me quite a while to convey a way to make it all work, but I am very satisfied with the result. All necessary info was updated in the first post.

Blog Entries
    Damn.... This sure beats the config file based scripts I feed into my engines.... tut tut tut. And it has procedures to boot! Thats a lot of features for a small one night project
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Well, as seen from the post above, procedures were added later, the first, truly one-night project had label+goto. But I'm glad it has found some appreciation.

Hm, since PGM4 still isn't around, maybe I could write an article on this...

Nice work Super Vegeta
    I remember fondly my first scripting language a few years ago...it worked ok, but could have been written better LOL