View Poll Results: Are you interested in the Sushi Quest engine?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I would pay for a license

3 12.50%
  • Yes, but only if free

11 45.83%
  • Yes, other option (explain)

5 20.83%
  • Not interested

5 20.83%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My game engine

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    WILL is spot on as usual, there are many frameworks but so much more is an engine. This is certainly one of the most feature packed pascal engines around (along with the honorable mention of Cast II and in a more abstracted way, GLScene). I work on my engine and I have to say that I learnt much from Reflos's Leaf 2, it's a well designed object orientated engine. I have learned that while flat functional programming in an engine can have certain advantages (many would argue performance and in given scenarios, learning curve), an object orientated approach can yeild after time, incredible benefits in terms of progress made and flexibility.

So in my humble opinion, if this is Leaf 2 plus a few more years in development, it will be by now a very capable engine.

I have not voted that I'd pay because my interests lie more with learning about and creating an engine. And assuming it had a price, I would concider first the already free Cast II engine and see if it had what I needed as it is also a very good engine.

However, Cast II does not yet have a GL renderer (but it has an abstracted design that facilitates adding new Graphics APIs)

so for the time being (if released) this engine looks to be one of the better choices for 3D, cross platform, fully object pascal game development.

GLScene deserves a mention because it too has facilitated quality 3d games. But I know of no current IOS developments and there's a lot of immediate mode GL2 design patterns, potentially hampering the implementation of GLES and GL3+ techniques so I personally don't expect to see such support for a while yet.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

So are we gonna get a full feature list? I can't really make an informed decision when I know nothing about the engine/framework but what I've seen in the video.
    Is it actually an engine or is it "just" an advanced framework? Are there for instance game objects which are handled by the engine? How easy is it to extend it with new functionality?

However I can say that it has to be really really really good if I have to cough up with the money. And I would actually want to play around with the engine before paying for it. Maybe do a license where you only pay for the right to do commercial projects though it may be a hazzle to handle if it's only you doing the work.
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

"Maybe do a license where you only pay for the right to do commercial projects"
    Yes, this would be fine for me.

Here is a feature list:
    Audio (OpenAL)
    - Native support for WAV, MOD and OGG (and MP3/AAC on iOS)
    - MIDI software decoder (requires external soundfonts)
    - Audio streaming
    - 3D audio support (including reverb effects)
    Custom resource importer/optimizer
    - Textures: Supports PNG, BMP, TGA, JPG, GIF
    - Models: Supports Milkshape3D (with animations), OBJ, 3DS, MDL and SMD (animated)
    - Package system (supporting compression and encryption)
    Platforms supported
    - Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS (supported NintendoDS in older versions, dropped due to lack of floating point processor)
    - Android support coming soon
    - Wii support currently planned
    - Various types of input supported (keyboard, mouse, gamepads, wiimote, touchscreen and accelerometer)
    - Multithreading support
    - Timers
    Integration with Newton physics engine
    Custom UI system
    - Fully skinnable
    - Supports animations (fades, moving, scaling, rotations)
    - Custom screen transitions
    - Includes lots of pre-made widgets (Window, Label, EditText, Button, Icon, Slider, Bar, Combobox, Checkbox)
    - Extensible with custom widgets
    Renderer (OpenGL/GLES)
    - Advanced texture support (Render to texture, volume textures, dynamic textures, including streaming from GIF, AVI and webcam)
    - Supports cubemaps (including render to cubemaps)
    - Cloth renderer
    - Decals
    - Bitmap font rendering (including Unicode support)
    - Skybox, Skydome and Lens flares
    - Reflections
    - Deferred rendering (supporting directional, point, spot and volumetric lights)
    - Shadowmapping (supporting directional and spot lights)
    - Shadow volumes
    - Bloom
    - Color correction
    - Normalmapping
    - Terrain rendering (including voxel support)
    - Toon rendering (with or without outline)
    - Entity management (frustum culling, octree)
    Network system
    - Based on UDP (with reliable packets)
    - Packet compression and encription)
    - Session management (login, logout, ping)
    - FTP uploading
    - STMP Email support
    - HTTP streams
    Artificial Inteligence (path finding, behaviors, state machines, boids)
    Math and Geometry classes (BoundingBox, Frustum, Octree, Ray)
    String Localization support
    Utility framework (Arcball controller, Solid shapes, texture atlas generation, UV unwrapper, Tesselator, software rasterizer, Collisions, CRC, FFT, XML, Perlin Noise)

Some of those things still probably need to be updated though as I didnt use them for some time.
    Last edited by Relfos; 02-09-2011 at 11:09 PM.

wow you are a busy beaver. List is very impressive. kudos.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Blog Entries
    Yeah that's a pretty impressive list of technical features!

I'm curious though, what about the level of game design on top of all those technologies? I mean would I be able to design worlds using my own graphics and characters and animations with the same level of functionality as the Sushi Quest game? Same type of object models and game mechanics, etc...

For clarification as to what I'm asking. When you play a FPS that uses an id Software engine or one of the Unreal engines, you expect to be able to have that FPS game mechanics built in already. Will this game engine have the same thing for me should I want to make a game using the same practicalities as what you have done with Sushi Quest or will it just be another plain-slate just like as if I would be using any other framework with different technologies?

Personally, I'm not looking for another framework (I don't need that!) what I'm interested in is making a game using an existing game engine that I can hone to my own game play and story of my making using an existing game engine and not have to rewrite most if not all of the game mechanics myself. Modification is another thing, I'd like to be able at add or remove features used in Sushi Quest to my own title. This is how professional game developers do things as well.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by czar View Post
    wow you are a busy beaver. List is very impressive. kudos.
    Looks like a big list but it took about seven years to get there

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    I'm curious though, what about the level of game design on top of all those technologies? I mean would I be able to design worlds using my own graphics and characters and animations with the same level of functionality as the Sushi Quest game? Same type of object models and game mechanics, etc...
    No, gameplay code is not part of the engine. I don't think that kind of thing should be included, as it imposes limits. I can usually sketch a new game prototype in one day using this framework (for example, the prototype that appears on Sushi Kart video was done in two days, and my Splash Ball and Icarus Sky were created and released on the App Store in a couple of days)

That is indeed an impressive list.
    Would you care to elaborate on entity management? Are entities full objects in a game world with physics, logic and graphical representation or is it only graphical? In my book a game framework first becomes a game engine when it has a system in place to easily and quickly create objects in the game world.
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

Will is more likely looking for a template

as Relfos said coding the engine for a specific game or genre would cause hugh limits to the engine itself
    but a good engine provide that all core programming is done and you can immediately start to code the game mechanics

for me as a gamedesigner with limited programming skills it would be nice to have a big amount of samples shipped with the engine
    samples with typical game scenes are fine (like the Asphyre spriteengine samples, they helped me alot)
    do you plan to release samples that show how to use the features in a typical game environment?

Quote Originally Posted by pstudio View Post
    That is indeed an impressive list.
    Would you care to elaborate on entity management? Are entities full objects in a game world with physics, logic and graphical representation or is it only graphical? In my book a game framework first becomes a game engine when it has a system in place to easily and quickly create objects in the game world.
    Visual only, they are are meant to be used as subcomponents of custom entities that handle the logic and gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Daikrys View Post
    for me as a gamedesigner with limited programming skills it would be nice to have a big amount of samples shipped with the engine
    samples with typical game scenes are fine (like the Asphyre spriteengine samples, they helped me alot)
    do you plan to release samples that show how to use the features in a typical game environment?
    True, examples would be a very important thing to have, I will be sure to release enough examples to explain how to use most of the features

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately I'm not interested in a 3rd party framework. I'd much prefer to code that myself for performance. I was interested in a game engine with the features shown from your Sushi Quest video trailers. I'd even pay double what you are proposing.

So I'd change my vote from Yes to a... not interested for the framework, but for a working game engine that I can modify a big yes.

As for what actually interested me about your proposal...

For me the restriction of working game mechanics in an engine isn't an issue because that's the type/genre of game that I want to make, not a limitation in this case. Should I want to change something I'd like the option to modify code that allows me to do something different, but I want something in place I can work with not a clean slate. I know I can code everything if I want to, but I'd like to be able to just design a game for a change. So I was interested in some of the code that you did that I might be able to leverage for a 3D extended journey into the world of the Grand wizard Garland.

I think I'll focus my efforts on the first one for now though.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast