Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolkenwelt

Wolkenwelt

Hey guys,
    I'm currently working on a commercial title which is called Wolkenwelt. It's basically a strategy simulation game where you build on sky islands. You have a few buildings like a power generator as your energy sources, lumberjack to chop down wood and houses for your citizens.
    Each sky island has something different to offer: Grass island have forests on them and provide wood as a building material, cloud islands offer energy bonus for power generators and so on.

There are no enemies what-so-ever, it's going to be a peaceful and compared to other games relatively slow-paced. You just play the game by yourself in single player, I might offer different modes/scenarios for the player, but I'm not so sure about that.

I had the idea for the game for one of the Ludum Dare competitions and iterated on the prototype last week-end in Berlin at BIGJAM.
    Here's a screenshot showing what it currently looks like:
    wolkenwelt_day0.jpg
    (Click to enlarge)

I plan on finishing the game in September and it will be released some time after that.

The price will be something around 5 to 10 dollars, it'll definitely be available on my homepage and I'll try to get on some portals as well. Platforms so far are Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

I'll start the official development diary on September 2nd, I just wanted to give you guys an exclusive look at it and I'm looking forward to know what you guys think of it. Pre-order will start around the same time and everyone who pre-ordered will get a new build of the game every two to three days. I'm using an open development model like Overgrowth and I'm going to show even the smallest changes, write about the library and stuff like that.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

it looks pretty cool...

Quote Originally Posted by azrael11 View Post
    it looks pretty cool...
    Thank you. Most of the guys I showed the prototype to at BIGJAM really like the graphic style.

Because I want to keep you up-to-date with the development process as soon as it happens, here is what I have planned for the different type of buildings:
    - Power generator (provides energy)
    - House (for your citizens)
    - Lumberjack (chops wood)
    - Crystal mines (mines crystal from crystal sky islands)
    - Alchemy tower

The upgrading doesn't work like it does in similar games, you don't just click on the button to upgrade a building, you have to combine the different resources (wood, gold, crystal) and drag it to the building. Once the alchemy tower is built, you are also able to burn and smelt items and make potions out of it.
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

It seems very nice!!!

It would be nice to see a video of it running!

For sure I will follow your dev diary when it starts! =)

Cool! I really love that graphical style...good luck with this

cheers,
    Paul

Blog Entries
    I remember you showing me this last week. Very cool to see what you did. You must learn a lot from doing all these mini compos and game jams.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

The official development blog started: http://www.freeze-dev.com/blog/announcing-wolkenwelt/

There is a new screenshot of the current debug build, there are just a few minor changes though:

Here is my daily to-do list:
    What did I do today?
    Graphics
    Updated the grass island texture
    Updated the button textures
    Updated the background image

Engine stuff
    CSS3-like drop shadow for rectangles
    Rectangles can be nodes now and be easily added to the scene
    Implemented rounded rectangles and gradient rectangles as classes

Things to do tomorrow
    Create house graphics
    Create Wolkenwelt homepage
    Make a nice screenshot for #ScreenshotSaturday

Edit: I'll do a video of the game on Sunday.
    Last edited by Stoney; 02-09-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Looking good mate

cheers,
    Paul

I posted a video about the current development build on Youtube. You can build houses now:

I've decided to enter Wolkenwelt in the October Challenge (a challenge by the Ludum Dare organisators where you have to create a game, take it to the market and earn at least 1$). The official pre-order date for Wolkenwelt is October 21th and here is a new screenshot:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast