Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your ideas for PGD mascot

Your ideas for PGD mascot

This morning, WILL and I had a nice chat about the graphics side of the new website. We've talked about a number of things, like themes and logo's. But also a new website mascot.

With this thread I want to ask you to give you ideas for a mascot. We've decided to limit the choices to animals. However, pre-historic, mytical or other animal-like creatures are allowed.
    Before you submit your ideas, please check whether your animal of choice is not already taken by a large website. i.e puppy, hippo, penquin, dolphin, monkey are for example not the best choices.

You have two weeks to enter your ideas and discuss given choices. After that, (if necessary) the Graphics Team will narrow down the list and we'll have a poll. The animal with the highest score will be used as our mascot.

Good luck.

Unicorn... beautiful, flexible but strong

Describes pascal in general best doesn't it?

Blog Entries

I've always like the Pegasus better.

Winged horse, born from the blood of the Gorgon Medusa when she was decapitated by Perseus. Pegasus was fond of drinking from the spring of Peirene at Corinth. It was here that the hero Bellerophon, in need of a mount on which to attack the Chimaera, found the steed and tamed it with a golden bridle given him by Athena.
    Hmm... Athena goddess of "crafts and the domestic arts and also those of war", her symbol was the owl. Athena is the mascott of Delphi, right?

Then there is Prometheus the titan aka "benefactor of humankind".

Prometheus stole fire from the gods and gave it to mortals, carrying it away from Mount Olympus in a fennel stalk (a method of transporting fire that was used down into historical times). As a consequence, Zeus chained Prometheus to a rock where each day an eagle pecked out his liver (which regenerated itself each night).
    But, I don't think the eagle would be appropreate though.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries

Ah... and a point of humour think of Microsoft in this next peice I found.

[size=18px]Procrustes[/size] (proh-KRUS-teez)
    A host who adjusted his guests to their bed. Procrustes, whose name means "he who stretches", was arguably the most interesting of Theseus's challenges on the way to becoming a hero. He kept a house by the side of the road where he offered hospitality to passing strangers, who were invited in for a pleasant meal and a night's rest in his very special bed. Procrustes described it as having the unique property that its length exactly matched whomsoever lay down upon it. What Procrustes didn't volunteer was the method by which this "one-size-fits-all" was achieved, namely as soon as the guest lay down Procrustes went to work upon him, stretching him on the rack if he was too short for the bed and chopping off his legs if he was too long. Theseus turned the tables on Procrustes, fatally adjusting him to fit his own bed.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

good ideas!

But the list is still a bit short isn't it? Anyone with a few more ideas

Sorry I'm not very good on choosing mascots. I've never really understood how people have an allegiance to something (Like people that support specific sport team).

I like the idea of an Owl though. Seems to me we could do all sorts of fun things with an Owl - flying, talking etc.

Makes me think of 'Owl' in Pooh... Sometimes says the dumbest things but still the cleverest guy around.
    William Cairns
    My Games: http://www.cairnsgames.co.za (Currently very inactive)
    MyOnline Games: http://TheGameDeveloper.co.za (Currently very inactive)

How about a sloth? Seems appropriate. (sorry, couldn't resist!)
    "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind."
    <br />-- Aristotle

Blog Entries

Sloth? :shock: Well I suppose it's an idea. :lol:

Oh in referace to my Prometheus blurb there. We could make it a mini-titan. With even mini-er-people-lings in some of the more cartoony graphics and banners, etc.

He'd be all cartoony, not ugly, but in a cute sort of way. Kind of like from Wizard of Id or Haggar newspaper comics section. Know what I mean?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Hehe, those Wizard of Id comics are fun. Just spend the last half hour reading

Not an animal I know, but a goofy guard like this one, holding a banner may also look cool.

Just a thought :roll:

Blog Entries

Hmm... not quite a titan, but... naw... it'd have to be greek to pass as a substitute tothe idea... unless you were going another way with it.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast