Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
I mean, the number 3.3 years (or 1204days) was a little irrelevant to the topic because passwords aren't normally just small letters. 4032yrs he counts for a..Z,0..9 which is 1471680 days. Given 100000 times more processing power multimedia computer network would crack that in 2 weeks. Now add to that a complex encryption algorithm that multiplies calculation time for single word by 1000. That's propably what AES-256 or something would do.
You are continuously basing your arguments on Nirvana fallacy by assuming unrealistic base case scenario and supporting your arguments on False dilemma fallacy by assuming that the solutions you have mentioned are the only ones to exist (or assuming lack of better alternatives thereof).

Yes, some people like yourself, me and others on this forum might use different letters and symbols, but inexperienced people, which are the majority, keep using passwords with the name of their pets, ex-girlfriends, movie characters and even their own names. You also keep insisting that the password is perfectly unique, has perfect entropy, has been salted properly, has been hashed properly and that no information is used about the user to guess the password faster. You also assume that hackers will be using some non-professional freeware program made by some random guy on a random machine that was meant to run some games and word applications to crack the perfectly ciphered password.

If you wish to tie yourself to unrealistic theoretical best-case scenarios to achieve false sense of security, it is okay, but I believe that in this particular case of hacked Steam accounts doing so would be a mistake.