Thread: Hosting Change, Help Cover PGD Server Fees!

Blog Entries

Exclamation Hosting Change, Help Cover PGD Server Fees!

Hey everyone!

I am happy to inform everyone that I am now in the final stages of planning PGD's new home on the internet. No the domain name isn't changing so as far as you all will know, it isn't really going anywhere 'address-wise', but it will have a different location rom where that domain points soon enough.

I am switching the servers from the current A Small Orange in the UK to US based GoDaddy. I have found their servers to be highly reliable with my own other websites, pascalgamer.com, garlandsquest.com and redantgames.com. Their services also proved to be helpful during the first PGD Challenge mini competition as a public FTP upload space for submitted entries.

There are a couple of great options for what is being advertised as their 4th generation hosting services. You can have a look to see what their deals are here. I am looking at the Ultimate plan for 36 months.

That will give us 3 years of unlimited space, bandwidth and websites. Along with that up to 1000 email addresses, and unlimited mysql databases. Lots of room for the community to breathe and grow.

PGD would run faster and be more secure as a result also. No more mishaps and mistakes with hosting and daily backups that I will have direct access to, which means if something did happen to the site I could get things back up and running a lot quicker.

This is the new hosting we are getting and it will help keep things working smooth around here. Now here is what I am asking of you all. Donations. It doesn't have to be much at all, but every little bit counts and will help cover the cost of the $275.00 Canadian Dollars for the next 3 years of hosting. I don't expect everyone here to cover the full cost of this payment, but the more i covered, the better. I still am paying this all out of my pocket and I'm not making a cent off of it as you should know.

So if you have a PayPal account and would like to donate towards the hosting to help keep PGD going for the next 3 years, please go to this link and give what you can. Every last little bit helps and it goes towards something you love to do. Donation button is on the bottom of the linked page. OR visit the front page of PGD and click on the Donation button on the left hand side under the Menu box!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

That is great. I'll make a donation as soon as I get my next paycheck (at the start of December).
    Existence is pain

btw, i' could offer @ 72 USD per year (usually 105 USD / Year), 10GB reseller account, with a TB of b/w, 1000 mysql, 2000 inboxes, unlimited addon domains. Direct Admin panel - European server

I should mension that godaddy unlimited is not unlimited.... and i would never suggest anyone to support Parson, he has been disgraced more than once...

In 2011, Parsons was denounced by animal rights groups for tweeting a video in which he shoots and kills an elephant in Zimbabwe. In response Parsons explained, "The tribal authorities requested that I and others like me patrol the fields before and during the harvest." PETA said they would close their account with Go Daddy and urged others to do the same.
    Download the Ziron Assembler
    Get free hosting for Ziron related fan-sites and Ziron projects, contact me in private message.

GoDaddy is a mixed bag; it really depends on whom you're sharing the server with, and that can change over time. Some sites can be excruciatingly slow. GoDaddy is all about quantity over quality.

Personally, I would look towards a smaller ISP who gives more personalized service. With cpanel, you pretty much get everything that any of the "big guys" offer anyway.

Disclaimer: I am a small private ISP, so weigh what I said above in that light.
    Last edited by Murmandamus; 19-11-2011 at 07:31 PM.

personally i would recommend DA over CP.. DirectAdmin is much more stable, much faster and straight to the point, it can also do anything cpanel can do... hence the reason my company uses DA... I have used many of the different panels before moving my servers to DA, and i will never change back to CPanel (note cpanel is also very bloated)
    Download the Ziron Assembler
    Get free hosting for Ziron related fan-sites and Ziron projects, contact me in private message.

Yeah, it's what I get from my server provider, it works, and is what my customers like, so.. DirectAdmin is better resource-wise, but I'm not really tasking the server.

Blog Entries
    Hello all! Just wanted to let everyone interested know that I've finally registered at the new host and the total cost for the next 3 years is actually $320! Not too shabby considering the deal I got.

Included in this will be a whole lot more features that will allow PGD to operate at a greater scale than it has been able to up to this point.

New features:

• unlimited bandwidth
    • unlimited space
    • unlimited mysql databases (1GB space each!)
    • 1000 email accounts (want a you@pascalgamedevelopment.com email address?)
    • multi-server hosting so that if one server goes down the others will keep the site online. 99.9% uptime!

Also with the new host, I've added the new domain for the PGD Challenge competitions. It will have it's own showcase site so all past competitions and entries can be downloaded and shared.

Some members of the community have be so awesome in contributing donations to help cover this cost so far and to those a BIG BiG THANK YOU! Every bit helps as this kind of hosting does come with a tiny price tag. If you would still like to donate please go to the 'Home' page of the site and click on the Donate paypal button to see how you can help out.

More information to come as I work behind the scenes to make this move happen. Thanks for your support folks!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder