Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pak Files?

Pak Files?

It's not really a table, it's a collection which is like a list of components. You might know collections from TListView (Items property), TTreeNode (dito), TMainMenu...
    You can add to these lists by creating a new TCollectionItem and setting the collection as the owner

MyItem := TCollectionItem.Create(MyCollection);

The problem with all package formats is the fact that in order to add a file to the package (and also when deleteting or modifying files), the package file has to be re-written completely. There are several workarounds for this. You could save the file table at the end of your file which would at least allow you to add files without having to re-write the entire file.

Alternatively (but this is much harder to implement), you could have fixed-size package files. Which means even an empty package file would be like 100 MB. You'd then have to write your own managing routines that split up files added to the package into clusters. When a file is deleted you simply mark all clusters that file occupied with "available". (This is how FAT/NTFS/etc. work) Again, this is very difficult to implement but of course possible.
    Ask me about the xcess game development kit

Pak Files?

If I have a little time today, I will write a tutorial about it.

Pak Files?

Thank you. Im rooting for the tutorial... File streams are so hard to understand.
    I have a 2005 CRF 250 so <^>(>&lt<^>
    <br />http://www.gtrpg.com/

Pak Files?

Here's the text of the tutorial from my old site. I'm looking forward to Harry Hunt's one because his packing utility is pretty sweet.

I don't have anywhere to put the source code so see my PM and I'll send it your way by email.

Introduction

Sometimes you don't want to supply 5,000 different files with your project. It's untidy and it uses up quite a lot of space (for example, the images\buttons folder for a default Delphi install has 59K of bitmaps that take up over 5 megs on my FAT32 drive!). The obvious solution here is to crunch all those files together into one file and read each into memory as necessary - much cleaner!

How To Do It

The technique is relatively straightforward, though it presents many annoying traps. We separate the packed file into two sections:

1. The data (each file to be packed)
    2. Information about that data (name, size)

The first part is used to store each file's contents (e.g. entire bitmaps). The files will be stored one after another without any space in between. As a result, we need some way to figure out the size of each file and where it is in the overall packed file - this is where the second part comes in!

Let's take a look at the first step, which is to splat each file together into one big gloopy mess. If you're not sure of your file handling, it might be time for you to brush up.

This is the procedure we follow. Note that the following is pseudocode - I'll be adding to it as we go along, so code won't be shown. If you want code, you can download the source code at the end. The pseudocode below will be expanded on, so don't use this version:

Code:
    create a new output file
    for each file in your list
        if current input file exists then
            get size of current input file
            open current input file
            resize buffer to wanted amount
            read contents of the input file into the buffer
            write the buffer to the output file
            close input file
        end if
    end for
    close the output file
    (Note: do not use the above pseudocode!)

We want to copy each file over into one gigantic packed file, so we create a new file to store everything. For each to-be-packed file, we read the contents and write to the still-opened output file. This has the result of creating a big file with each individual item squashed together. There's a step in between - we have to use a buffer to store the read information first before we can write it. The bigger the buffer here, the better, up to the file's size. If that's too large, though, you can repeatedly read fixed amounts into a buffer until no more is left for the current file.

However, you might have noticed a small problem with the above pseudocode: there's no way to tell where one file starts in the overall pack, making it less than useful!

Storing File Info

We want to store information about each file somewhere, which will let us figure out the starting position and sizes. My chosen technique is to store the absolute position of each file (offset in bytes from the start of the file, position 0). This can be figured out as you write each to the pack by keeping an integer total and adding file_size to it for each input file. Uh, did I make that less-than-clear enough?

I'm going to refer this file-specific info as a header. It can equally be a footer, of course, depending on where you decide to stick it in the packed file .

The first problem is determining the format of the header. What info needs to be stored for each entry?

* An ID (string)
    * The offset in bytes to this file

Anything else is just frills. The ID is necessary so that you can read the file - you may want to say "load somepic.bmp" instead of "load file number 2," because you may not always know the exact index of each file in the pack. The offset is required so that you know where the file starts. Any other details, such as the size, can be calculated later from this info.

The advantage of using a filename is that the type of the file is easily found - simply check the file extension (e.g. ".bmp" for a bitmap). You can add any other data required as additional fields in the record, though, so bear that in mind. The example record above is the minimum you'd get away with for most cases, but the format is entirely up to you.

Next up, there's a minor question. Should each entry be a fixed size? This is simply for the purposes of reading/writing the header at appropriate times. If each entry is a fixed size then the entire header can be read at once, instead of having a for loop reading each individual entry. It's your call again. I'm choosing to be lazy, so I will use a fixed size record. In fact, I'll go one further and use a shortstring instead of a string for the ID .

[pascal]type
    TPackedFileEntry = record
    Name: String[32];
    Offset: Int64; // offset in *bytes* to this file
    end;[/pascal]

The above is info about each file in the pack. You can adjust the size of "name" there - I used 32, but you can increase or shorten it if you want or use normal, resizable strings instead (which can introduce small complications to the unwary). [The sample code uses a slightly smaller string, in case you were wondering, plus a packed record.]

At this point, it's time for a little update of our wanted format. This is the new format:

Original file - whatever was sitting there, optional
    Packed data - our extra files
    Header - n entries, one for each file we packed and added [it's a footer actually]
    Header size - an Int64 giving the header size (n entries * sizeof(each entry))
    A signature - the string 'pack'

What's that? Yep, the header has now become a footer, plus we have some extra stuff at the start and end! This change makes the system more adaptable.

The original file refers to your executable, or indeed any other file onto which a pack can be added. This is optional (because you may want your pack files separate for clarity) but the format allows exes to have extra stuff embedded afterwards. The exe will still load and run, but with the added bonus that it's self-contained with its data.

Think about what happens if we want to add our packed file to the end of something else (for example, our main executable). We wouldn't have any idea of how large the original file was because we've padded it with our extra crap! The obvious (or not) solution is to check backwards from the end of the file. We always know where the end of the file is .

When reading the file, we have to check whether it contains packed stuff first, since that's not a certainty. The simplest method is to write a fixed number of bytes in a signature pattern (in this case, making the word 'pack', but feel free to use whatever you want) to the end. It's very unlikely that an unpacked file would end in those exact bytes, hopefully, so it serves as a good enough check.

The next step is to read the header info - once we know that, it's plain sailing! The first problem is figuring out where that header starts, though, since it can contain different amounts of files! This can be solved by reading in an offset in the file giving the header size, rather than a fixed position. We can seek back however many bytes from the end (skipping the packed-file ID) and then read the header all at once! From that, we know the position of each file and how big the original file was (the offset for the first file entry).

Phew!

Take a breath and re-read the above. The concept is straightforward enough; the only problem is side-stepping possible implementation difficulties (aka, "fiddly file handling").

Implementation

Here are some pseudocode functions (note the absence of type info, for example):

Generating the packed file

Code:
    procedure make pack&#40;filename, files to pack&#41;;
    begin
      if FileExists&#40;filename&#41; then
      begin
        current pos &#58;= file size&#40;filename&#41;
        append to file&#40;filename&#41;
      end
      else
      begin
        current pos &#58;= 0
        create new file&#40;filename&#41;
      end if

// assume max entries possible - resize later
      set header entry count&#40;header, count&#40;files to pack&#41;&#41;

next entry &#58;= 0

for all files to pack do
      begin
        if file-to-be-packed exists then
        begin
           // step one&#58; dump each file into a big messy gloop
           open current file-to-be-packed
           get file size
           resize buffer
           read data into buffer from file-to-be-packed
           write buffer to output file

// maintain some info for the header
           header&#91;next entry&#93;'s name &#58;= file-to-be-packed name
           header&#91;next entry&#93;'s offset &#58;= current pos

close to-be-packed file

next entry &#58;= next entry + 1
           current pos &#58;= current pos + input file size
        end if
      end for

// resize to the actual amount used
      set header entry count&#40;header, next entry&#41;

// step two&#58; write out the header info now
      write file header
      write file header size
      write file signature&#40;'pack'&#41;

close output file
    end

Reading a packed file

function is packed file&#40;somefile&#41;&#58; Boolean
    begin
      Result &#58;= &#40;size&#40;somefile&#41; > 4 chars&#41; and
                  last four chars&#40;somefile&#41; = 'pack'
    end

procedure get header&#40;somefile, header&#41;
    var
      header_size&#58; Int64
    begin
      if not is packed file&#40;somefile&#41; then
        explode horribly

move to end of file&#40;somefile&#41;

// find the header size - ignore the last 4 bytes
      seek backwards&#40;4 bytes + SizeOf&#40;Int64&#41;&#41;

read header size&#40;somefile, header size&#41;
      seek&#40;end of file - 4 bytes - SizeOf&#40;Int64&#41; - header size&#41; // yeesh!

set header entry count&#40;header,
                            header size div SizeOf&#40;TPackedFileEntry&#41;&#41;

read all header&#40;somefile, header, header size&#41;
    end

function packed file size&#40;header, which_file&#41;&#58; Int64
    begin
      if which_file is_not_last then
        Result &#58;= header&#91;which_file + 1&#93;.offset - header&#91;which_file&#93;.offset
      else
        Result &#58;= &#40;packed_file_size - 4 - sizeof&#40;int64&#41; - header_size&#41; - header&#91;which_file&#93;.offset
    end
    Getting the size is a little fiddly. If we're not dealing with the last file then we can simply take the difference between two entries, since there's no space in between each file (the next file starts after the previous file's entirety). The last one, though, has extra bits after it for the header, etc., so it's not quite as clean. We can calculate it as "remove the extra gunk - the offset for the last file". The extra gunk in this case is the entire header (however many bytes), header size (an Int64) and 4 bytes for the signature.

Reading each file itself is so straightforward that it doesn't even merit pseudocode! You simply seek to the specified offset for that file then do a BlockRead/whatever for the given file size into your chosen output format. I find that streams are pretty handy for this btw, because most objects have a "LoadFromStream" method. You can read the values into a memory buffer of some sort (either a dynamic array or a TMemoryStream).

The Code

The above pseudocode will be enough to get you started. You can wrap the functions in a class. Alternatively, you can simply download the source code: packing.zip (11 K) for this tutorial instead, saving you the effort .

You might want to store a CRC32 checksum per-file or to the overall pack, which would allow you to check whether a pack (or a particular file) is corrupt. EFG has CRC32 covered somewhere on his site (I forget exactly where, unfortunately.)

The above method *should* let you create packed files added onto exe files. I tested this theory with notepad; the exe ran properly and the packed data could be viewed in the example program. There may be some issues to do with sharing (i.e., reading from an exe while it's running). Well, finding out for yourself is half the fun, right?
    "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind."
    <br />-- Aristotle

Pak Files?

excellent article, Alimonster!
    I decided that since your article pretty much covers everything there is to say about creating package files I will write a little program that loads/saves package files to demonstrate how it is implemented in Delphi and maybe give away one or two secrets of how the xcess package editor works. But I won't be done with that before tomorrow...

Pak Files?

Wow, I cannot thank you guys enough. Every time i got a question, this forum never fails to teach me until I understand. You people are absolutely awsome. I wish there was something I could do for this forum...
    I have a 2005 CRF 250 so &lt;^&gt;(&gt;&lt&lt;^&gt;

Pak Files?

You already do a lot for this forum. This forum needs people asking questions just as much as people who answer them. And maybe in a few months/years, you'll come here answering questions yourself...

Pak Files?

Yea when people ask questions about topics i know! FileStreams and MemoryStreams are new to me. Same with graphics stuff like DelphiX but im getting the hang of it.
    I have a 2005 CRF 250 so &lt;^&gt;(&gt;&lt&lt;^&gt;

Blog Entries

Pak Files?

Quote Originally Posted by xGTx
    Wow, I cannot thank you guys enough. Every time i got a question, this forum never fails to teach me until I understand. You people are absolutely awsome. I wish there was something I could do for this forum...
    Thanks for your words xGTx. It's good to know that this site has been of help to you in your ventures. Like HH says, you will someday be able to tutor those that need to know something that you are quite familiar with. The best thing you can do to help is continue to be a part of our community. We need all the people like you we can get.

Best of luck in your future projects.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Pak Files?

http://hosted.xcessred.com/articles/packageditor.htm

Here's an article I wrote on how to write a package editor. I also put this in the tutorial section of DGDev.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast