Thread: Pascal Gamer Magazine Issue 4 Needs Content: Want to write an article?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Status update:

I categorically refuse to be beaten by FPC and this darn cross compiler... Despite all my efforts I simply cannot get the latest SVN releases to work properyl. I've changed my article about 4 times as I thought I had a method that works bit hey No choice: got to post on forums.... walk of shame......
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    Status update:

I categorically refuse to be beaten by FPC and this darn cross compiler... Despite all my efforts I simply cannot get the latest SVN releases to work properyl. I've changed my article about 4 times as I thought I had a method that works bit hey No choice: got to post on forums.... walk of shame......
    Hi code_glitch, I don't know if this may help you? There is a general FAQ in pdf format about how to build and configure FPC: http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/buildfaq.pdf

cheers,
    Paul

Blog Entries
    paul: now that is an interesting document. Although the main problem seems to be random hangs while everything is being compiled. It would seem that as a baseline the compiler functions but none of the FCL is built, or at least, found by the compiler which is a pain and I do not want to have to tack on how to do this manually... No problem though as I may have spotted a big doodoo earlier on in my procedure which could be causing the trouble.

Just got back to another term so its loaded with work and exams are headed my way so I'll tend to that tomorrow once most of all this is out of the way
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Sorry. I didn't have the time, nor some "real" idea's on what to write.

Matrix multiplication is allready covered extensively a previous issue and more examples are abundantly available online. I also think that the harder concepts in linear algebra are harder to understand and less usefull to a gamedevelopment community. Quaternions could be interesting, but I would need to study them myself first.

Another problem is, that I haven't touched pascal for some time now. I'm actually messing with AVR's, C and my soldering iron.
    Therefore, I don't really know what to write about.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Blog Entries
    chronozosphere: Arduino or ATMega based AVRs? Or are you in the picaxe scene? Thoe arduino and ATMega combination is brilliant and their wired base c style compiler is probably the only c relative I can stand... I believe there is a pascal compiler somewhere on the net for AVRs but since wired and C make a decent combo I never bothered.

Just a note: just got my OS ready for a new try and my internet working again after the 4th livebox in 2 months died... Fingers crossed it works

Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    chronozosphere: Arduino or ATMega based AVRs? Or are you in the picaxe scene? Thoe arduino and ATMega combination is brilliant and their wired base c style compiler is probably the only c relative I can stand... I believe there is a pascal compiler somewhere on the net for AVRs but since wired and C make a decent combo I never bothered.
    Right now I'm programming an ATTiny chip, but I've got 2 ATmega's here too. Just figuring out the basics (blinking leds, PWM, using RS232 serial ports). My end goal is to drive a touchscreen using a microcontroller. Best thing is that I borrowed all the equipment from a friend, so I didn't have to invest anything.
    I also think C is good enough for this. The programs are very small, so they are easy to understand, even in C, so it's simply not worth the effort to do it in pascal. There is a lot of material on C AVR programming so it's the easiest way to go.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Blog Entries
    Last day before I go on my trip. How are those articles coming along? Please email me anything you've completed or once you do get your final draft done please email it to contact@pascalgamer.com.

I'll be putting it into the magazine while I'm away as this is the best time to do it without distractions of some kind or another.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder