Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pascal Gamer Magazine Issue 4 Needs Content: Want to write an article?

Blog Entries
    I found that instead of focusing on the actual code when explaining the make-up of the game, instead focus on the parts/elements of the game mechanics and how to put it together. If people want to learn code then they can just go to a Pascal programming tutorial on the web, if they want to learn game dev techniques then that's want I want them to learn in my magazine. You can show code as an example, but what you are really trying to teach them is the method which the code will follow. The rest falls into place and they can figure out the code themselves easier.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Remember folks - planning and Object oriented.... The two laws of game development. If you want - feel free to rip off a section of my Application design bits and call it your own for the magazine if any of it is useful and can help make a point of planning programs/games beforehand. As for object oriented I may just write up a column out of boredom - as DHL DE have yet to ship me my motherboard for my new rig which I am going to need to do all the android goodness!

komme DHL - schneelllll!
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    I found that instead of focusing on the actual code when explaining the make-up of the game, instead focus on the parts/elements of the game mechanics and how to put it together. If people want to learn code then they can just go to a Pascal programming tutorial on the web, if they want to learn game dev techniques then that's want I want them to learn in my magazine. You can show code as an example, but what you are really trying to teach them is the method which the code will follow. The rest falls into place and they can figure out the code themselves easier.
    Ah, ok...that makes sense. I will do a "How to start building a Boulder Dash game" article then and show pseudo code to illustrate various parts
    I will first start by setting up a very simple SDL program at the beginning which they can then use later on with the Boulder Dash bits...

Thanks Jason!!

EDIT: I am going to get rid of the SDL part so my 'code' can be used for any system, not just SDL...

cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by paul_nicholls; 20-12-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Updated post

Blog Entries
    That sounds good. Oh and as I've told Ben and others, try to stay away from API specifics such as SDL, OpenGL and DeirectX unless you are actually teaching those API. If you must use something like SDL (and SDL is a good one to use!) try to keep explaination of the SDL bits to a minimum or you'll be stuck in the trap of making it an SDL tutorial as well as what you originally planned.

Hey, maybe it would be good to actually have a getting started article on SDL to reference for all future articles. Matthias?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

That sounds good. Oh and as I've told Ben and others, try to stay away from API specifics such as SDL, OpenGL and DeirectX unless you are actually teaching those API. If you must use something like SDL (and SDL is a good one to use!) try to keep explaination of the SDL bits to a minimum or you'll be stuck in the trap of making it an SDL tutorial as well as what you originally planned.
    Yeah, I have already gotten rid of all API stuff so people can use it with SDL, OpenGL, DirectX, whateverX LOL

Jason, or whever, any idea how I could format some pascal code into syntax highlighted colours that I can paste into a Microsoft word 2007 document?
    That would make the article much nice

Blog Entries
    "or whatver"? lmao What does that mean?

I used to use PasteBin and screen cap from that, but it comes out blurry unless I mess with the DPI of the images in photoshop... It'll be as a single image anyhow so it's not like people will be able to copy paste your code. Nor should they. You can include code in file form that can be downloaded as your article bonus archive file for that. So for beautification, I used to use that.

I actually just manually color code it all myself lately. Takes some time, but it looks the way I need it to at least.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

"or whatver"? lmao What does that mean?
    haha I was being silly saying WhateverX for some other API that I hadn't mentioned or heard of maybe!

I used to use PasteBin and screen cap from that, but it comes out blurry unless I mess with the DPI of the images in photoshop... It'll be as a single image anyhow so it's not like people will be able to copy paste your code. Nor should they. You can include code in file form that can be downloaded as your article bonus archive file for that. So for beautification, I used to use that.

I actually just manually color code it all myself lately. Takes some time, but it looks the way I need it to at least.
    Ok, thanks mate
    Maybe I will leave it up to you so it doesn't become blurry if I do it via PasteBin...
    Last edited by paul_nicholls; 22-12-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Hi!
    After some browsing trough the forum I found a Thread from Mayley (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...1039#post81039) in wich he is asking for help in developing off a combat system for his game.
    Since I havent ecountered any Theme or article on this matter I was thinking off making an example off a combat system for him and maybe even try to write an article explaining off how it is done.
    Would you be interested in including this article in the nex isue of Pascal Game Magazine. If so please do tell me till when I need to finish the article.

@WILL: it looks like it might take maybe 2 or 3 more days for me to finish my Boulder Dash article...is this a problem?

cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by paul_nicholls; 22-12-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast