Thread: Pascal Gamer Magazine Issue 4 Needs Content: Want to write an article?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    code_glitch: Android, awesome!

Stoney: iOS, great!

Paul: A tutorial on how to make Bolderdash would be neat. Maybe something for the Coder's Block section? Also what about The Probe? Have you made a "1.0 Final" version yet? Or maybe you could do a Special Report article on your experiences developing for different platforms and where you can see this going in the future...?

Jim McKeeth from RemObjects has shown interest in writing something and so has Lifepower as well as Matthias from 'FreePascal-meets-SDL.' This is looking to be a very nice return to making issues for Pascal Gamer. And with new Desktop Publishing software too! (iStudio for Mac OS X)

I was also thinking about writing a fun visual history time-line of Pascal game development milestones from early 2000 until now. Anyone else like this idea?

Also... we have a couple of incomplete "series" from past issues of Pascal Gamer. Are we looking at continuing/completing these from this issue? (cronozphere, Jeremy Darling, Brainier?)
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Paul: A tutorial on how to make Bolderdash would be neat. Maybe something for the Coder's Block section?
    Sounds good to me

Also what about The Probe? Have you made a "1.0 Final" version yet?
    In the next few days I will be releasing a bare-bones version of The Probe. There are no menus yet, but it will include a whole bunch of gaming elements that I have gotten working and showcased in some different levels so you guys can test it out and give me some feedback
    Not sure if that would be a Beta version, but who knows!

Or maybe you could do a Special Report article on your experiences developing for different platforms and where you can see this going in the future...?
    I will have a think on that one...I have only gotten Windows/Unix working so far, but thanks to SDL/OpenGL/OpenAL that wasn't too hard
    Not sure where that might be going in the future, and some other game libraries (ZenGL, RelOS?) would be way better than mine in this regard for future cross-platform updates...

I could probably write something about beggining with SDL - or, since Paul already steep out on this one, BASS. Maybe a small article about a leveled.

I might be able to write something as well. I say "might" because I have very little time on my hands. Since I didn't have time to do pascal programming during the last few months (apart from some android experiments, which will already be covered), I think it's best to do something more general, like matrix/vector math or perhaps perlin noise.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to Super Vegeta we have out first submitted article. I may have had one other article submitted way back, I'll have to check.

Math stuff to go into the Coder's Block would be great. Math is after all one of the main principals behind programming. Probably why my high school back in the day put the math department in charge of all the CS stuff.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Well, I'm dead in the water until I can build my new rig. The earliest I can give an ETA on the android goodness would be 2 to 3 days from now, what length are we talking? I could probably squeeze it into 1 or 2 days work for the entire article meaning it could be out by weeks end...
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Blog Entries
    A few days is excellent actually.

I would like to have all the articles in by the end of December this year so I can work on formatting them and putting them into pages of the magazine using iStudio while I'm away for most of the month of January. Don't know how good my internet connection will be out there, I've heard horror stories so...

Such is the life of a man with a committed career. Worry not though folks, I never forget you guys.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Oh and feel free to include some illustrations, clip art and even graphs and diagrams to go with your article too. These really help speed me along if I have existing graphical stuff to throw in with it right there. Otherwise I have to go searching for appropriate things to put in with the text it's self to make it more than a wall of text. It's a magazine after all, right?

Oh and please please please include a small picture of yourself with your article that I can use to show the author. However I do understand that some people are camera-shy so in such a case an avatar would suffice, but please do consider the photo first.

You may have noticed that I have been throwing my ugly mug up on the magazine and on other community media. It really does help to "put a face" to all the community things we are doing. That it's realy people and not just a bunch of kooky Pascal Zealots with their programming propaganda.

I await more of your great articles and code bits...
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder