Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volunteers for Next PGD Challenge Judges...

Blog Entries

Exclamation Volunteers for Next PGD Challenge Judges...

Hey everyone! I need at least 2 volunteers (3 would be better!) to be judges for the next PGD Challenge Mini Competition. The competition will take place starting this month and run for about 3-4 weeks, in which time you can prepare for a judging session of all games sometime in late January/early February.

Without judges, we cannot hold another mini competition so if you have both a PC and a Mac computer please contact me via PM or by email at contact@pascalgamer.com to submit your request as a judge. Thanks!

As per the previous PGD Challenge, it will have no prizes. It's just for fun so if the judges would like to help out it is also possible for them to make a mock competition entry to follow along, but they cannot enter for obvious reasons.

Should you not be available during the time of the actual competition to compete, but feel that you will have time afterwards, perhaps volunteering as a judge would be a great way to help contribute as well?

I hope to hear from all those who can help. Thanks again.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

To be sure, is it a requirement to have both a Mac and a PC in order to be a judge?
    I wouldn't mind doing some judging as I wont be participating, but it's pc only for me.

Blog Entries
    Woah people - lets not forget the elephant in the indie game dev room - linux!! If I recall a LOT of Ludum Dare games target ubuntu/linux based operating systems, not jusy mac and windows. Just a thought to include - but as linux is free and can be run in a VM/dual booted you can't say you dont have it right
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Blog Entries
    I would be interested in getting all 3 major platforms (Windows, Mac OS X and Linux) as officially supported for competition entries, unfortunately not everyone has all the systems available. I currently have 2 volunteers who have all 3 thankfully. I really was only expecting to get the top 2. I'd like to get a third that also has all 3 if possible, but will have to make due with what everyone has. Windows is a must simply because of the sheer number of users that it would eliminate otherwise.

This is so that all judges may play the games. Dev teams may include/produce any number of ports as they desire, however all the judges need to be able to play what is submitted. So I do encourage those that know how and are practiced as making games in multiple ports to do so, but I'd caution anyone who is new to this to stick with whatever platform/development they are most familiar with so they have the best chance of completing their entry.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    all the judges need to be able to play what is submitted
    Then I think you will find that OS X is going to be a problem - and not a small one at that. Although it is true they could cross compile from Linux with SDL the issues regarding testing it for non-Mac owners would make that impractical if there is a mac only judge... Although to be fair I doubt this will be the case.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    Woah people - lets not forget the elephant in the indie game dev room - linux!! If I recall a LOT of Ludum Dare games target ubuntu/linux based operating systems, not jusy mac and windows. Just a thought to include - but as linux is free and can be run in a VM/dual booted you can't say you dont have it right
    You can also install Ubuntu from within Windows and run it natively via booting into it when starting the computer up. You don't even have to partition the hard drive or other stuff, and you can then uninstall Ubuntu from Windows too just like any other program if you wish

When do you plan to run it? I would like to participate, but I can't do anything during december-january since I have a CG course to run and we are revising it for OpenGL 3.2. But if the course gets in the way for participating I could just as well be judge. I have access to OSX (many versions), XP/Vista and Ubuntu (a bit old, should upgrade it). But no Windows 7.

Blog Entries
    I'm just waiting for things to pick-up on the site. I'll be starting the competition once, I have confirmed all judges will be ready at the end of the deadline and gotten their specs. Rules are being drafted this weekend.

I would like to advertise, but it takes time and effort to make videos of each game. Perhaps if competitors of the last competition were to send me videos of their 1st Challenge entries, I'd have a much easier time of it.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    I'm just waiting for things to pick-up on the site. I'll be starting the competition once, I have confirmed all judges will be ready at the end of the deadline and gotten their specs. Rules are being drafted this weekend.

I would like to advertise, but it takes time and effort to make videos of each game. Perhaps if competitors of the last competition were to send me videos of their 1st Challenge entries, I'd have a much easier time of it.
    Well, I've had a video up for a long time, if it counts. http://www.ragnemalm.se/lightweight/twobitclip.mov But I guess the top entries would be more important.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post

I would be glad to make one of my entry Vectored!...unfortunately, it would be without sound, as I have never had any luck recording audio + video ever...

Any idea if this is possible?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast