Thread: Ludum Dare 22

Ludum Dare 22

Obligatory Ludum Dare thread. Please post your progress here, if you are participating.

If you don't know what Ludum Dare is, check the previous threads or their website.

Last edited by WILL; 16-12-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Added Keynote Video... :)
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Blog Entries
    I thought it was LD28, not 22?

Edit: Nevermind, it's 22.

So warm-up for the 2nd PGD Challenge this December?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I was able to submit a game, but unfortunately not in Pascal. The installation of the latest Lazarus failed mid-install and messed up a few things and I couldn't get it working in time for the competition. Maybe next time! (or the next PGD mini)

In any case, my game's over here.

Ran into a couple of interesting problems... like the lightning. In order to have randomized lightning I didn't have time to prevent lightning from striking the same target twice, making it do massive damage. Enemies were also extremely hard to click with lightning so I made the click radius generous, but with the radius so big you could just lightning everything to death for eternity, so I had to reduce the radius again. As usual, I also didn't get to put everything I had wanted in. Might do a post mortem on the LD site later. I also have timelapse images but don't yet have time to make them into a movie, so I will do that this afternoon.

Blog Entries
    Sadly, installation on non-Windows platforms is still it's weak point. Even more so is that darn debugger it uses. Which I believe is where most of the problems with Lazarus lies currently.

Do get your setup going for end of December though, as the PGD Challenge is going to start sometime shortly after Christmas. This one will span about a month. (4 weeks)

Post Mortems are great! Maybe you can submit one to issue 4 of Pascal Gamer Magazine as well? With more pictures and screenshots of it's development of course.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Just a line to let you guys know I have submitted a game and y'all can find it right here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum...eview&uid=4203

Its windows only (don't know how well X11 supports that messy code...) and its a Wargames style RTS with a few bugs as well as a recording of UVB-76 in the background for that all important 'mood'...

edit:
    wait, dazappa - seriously? That was you?!? Damn that was a good game!
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Post Mortems are great! Maybe you can submit one to issue 4 of Pascal Gamer Magazine as well? With more pictures and screenshots of it's development of course.
    Yes, that is a good idea. If anything though I think I will focus on design and gameplay, after all it is not a Pascal game. Lucky for you, I did full screen captures for my timelapse ( 1360x768 ) so I should be able to find some good shots from during the development.

Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    wait, dazappa - seriously? That was you?!? Damn that was a good game!
    Thanks! Yours was confusing at the start (hadn't played anything like it), but fun once I got the hang of it.

Blog Entries
    Did anyone submit a Pascal entry to the Ludum Dare?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Did anyone submit a Pascal entry to the Ludum Dare?
    code_glitch's is in Pascal, and it looks like Stoney wasn't able to submit a game.

Yeah, I was totally motivated at the beginning of LD, then I had some Horde3D issues and while I thought of a good game idea on the second day, my motivation had almost gone and I spent too much time tweaking parts of my engine
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.