Thread: PGD: Registration done wrong... Let's fix it!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down PGD: Registration done wrong... Let's fix it!

Well folks, it looks like we've been letting you all down. As you may or may not know, the registration process of PGD (with moderated users) isn't the nicest to deal with. In fact I do believe it's pushing potential new members away from the community, which really sucks.

So in my effort to correct this and do better, I'd like to know some of your experiences and things that you feel should be in that first email, Private Message or on the front page that would help make things simpler, more informative or down-right easier to figure things out here on the PGD community site.

I'm currently updating the welcome email to better explain the moderated user process in an effort to help all those who are not a spam bot get un-moderated and able to post freely as we would like you all to. Moderated user by default has been a necessary evil to help keep all this spam (that we still receive almost daily!) from showing up on the site and annoying everyone. (Who actually likes these random spams anyways, right?)

My hope is that we can help keep all those interested people coming and registering, but actually becoming a part of the community instead of getting annoyed and saying forget it. So please all recommendations and ideas are welcomed. (Except for removing user moderation, not happening anytime soon fellas! )
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Well I've finally gone into the default Welcome and Email verification templates and updated them with some information about how to better go through the registration and un-moderation process.

That done I created a new thread in the New Members forum where new members can actually reply and post about themselves to let the admins and moderators know that they are there and are real people and not an evil spam bot. (This explained in the email verification and welcome emails!)

Things are starting to seem easier to understand now I hope!

After all that I've also taken a look at the slightly aged FAQ and I've noticed a few things that need updating. Changes have been made in the community that need to be clarified and some information that is no longer valid. (Still working on this. There is a lot of information that can go in the FAQ!)

I'm hoping that this will make PGD better and not worse as a result. Please let us know what you think about all of this. We are really trying to make PGD much more welcoming and inviting to new members.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder