@vampm
Like it has been sad, creating an RPG game isn't an easy task. I'm curently writing an article on making an RPG based battle system and must say that code for trhis RPG combat system and inventory managment already excedes 1300 lines of code and coments. But this is actualy just a fraction of the whole game.
Anywhay if it still interests you wait for me to finish the article so that you could see atleast how to make this small part of the RPG game.

As for the graphics I would try to stay away from ddraw becouse it sems that it's suport is slowly being canceled by Microsoft. I have many old games wich use ddraw for graphic and wich doesn't run properly on newer graphics cards and newer OS-es like Windows Vista or Windows 7.
You could use Andora2D instead of DelphiX wich uses either DirectX or OpenGL instead of ddraw and offers the same functionality. Basicly usage of Andora2D is so similar to DelphiX that you could easily port your project from DelphiX to Andora2D with minimal changes in sourcecode.
But unfortunatly there hasnt been much development on Andora2D in the last two years so it may contains some bugs wich may or may not be fixed in the future.