Thread: Pre April 2014 - Welcome to PGD! Make your first post here....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vampm View Post
    For start I just want to do graphics only. I dont know if I this engine is going to be suitable for games. This just for fun!!! But I would like to make something like an simple rpg, with anime-like characters.
    Well getting into graphics I'd recommend JEDI-SDL to start. It's mostly 2D which is the best way to start with graphics to understand how to work with sprites, loading and unloading these and other "assets." Then you can move onto other libraries and API to do more advanced stuff.

As much as RPGs might be fun to play, I'd steer WAY clear of them for learning to program. They require way too much premade graphics and take a huge amount of development time. Most new programmers try to do an RPG as a first project and give up on programming altogether. Instead why not try some more classic game models like Pac-Man, Pong or a simple shooter?

These other alternatives might not seem as exciting as making the next Final Fantasy, but trust me you'll learn nothing more or different from making and RPG other than you shouldn't have started with an RPG.

Other alternatives could also be a platformer, scrolling shooter, maze game (like Pac-man, Lock-n-Chase or Night Stalker) or a puzzle game.

These are of course just my recommendations.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Ok, I ll keep in mind!!! I started delphi-7 with delphix in order to use ddraw, which is very fast in pixel operations. I am going to post in a proper section all my queries because I am new in directx staff, and in delphi. See ya there!!!

Welcome to PGD vampm! Keep up the great work...some good beginnings there
    I love graphics

@vampm
    Like it has been sad, creating an RPG game isn't an easy task. I'm curently writing an article on making an RPG based battle system and must say that code for trhis RPG combat system and inventory managment already excedes 1300 lines of code and coments. But this is actualy just a fraction of the whole game.
    Anywhay if it still interests you wait for me to finish the article so that you could see atleast how to make this small part of the RPG game.

As for the graphics I would try to stay away from ddraw becouse it sems that it's suport is slowly being canceled by Microsoft. I have many old games wich use ddraw for graphic and wich doesn't run properly on newer graphics cards and newer OS-es like Windows Vista or Windows 7.
    You could use Andora2D instead of DelphiX wich uses either DirectX or OpenGL instead of ddraw and offers the same functionality. Basicly usage of Andora2D is so similar to DelphiX that you could easily port your project from DelphiX to Andora2D with minimal changes in sourcecode.
    But unfortunatly there hasnt been much development on Andora2D in the last two years so it may contains some bugs wich may or may not be fixed in the future.

Hello, I am Trung Le from Vietnam. I was wandering around the site for a while but this is the first time I post something . In Vietnam we don't use Pascal for software development but I find it interesting and have learned/used it for 8 years. Hope we can get along well .

Blog Entries
    Welcome to PGD!

I'm sure you'll find many resources here to help you continue to use your Pascal skills in making fun games. I've activated you and you are ready to start posting in the other forums. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Akarin View Post
    Hello, I am Trung Le from Vietnam. I was wandering around the site for a while but this is the first time I post something . In Vietnam we don't use Pascal for software development but I find it interesting and have learned/used it for 8 years. Hope we can get along well .
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Hello from Kapitany

Hello! My name is Kapitany, and I am from Hungary. I like Pascal and Delphi programming, I write Pascal programs since the 1980's.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapitany View Post
    Hello! My name is Kapitany, and I am from Hungary. I like Pascal and Delphi programming, I write Pascal programs since the 1980's.
    Great , more new faces

Hi

Hello,

Starting a new course in September with pascal programming in it.
    So figured, might as well learn it now.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to PGD Adam!

I've set you up and you are ready to post on the forums now. Good luck learning Pascal, it's an awesome language to learn. After you've gotten your programming skills squared away don't stop there though. There are lots of great libraries and API headers for Pascal and all the other newer dialects that you can do some impressive stuff with.

Once you have learned enough of the language I'd suggest starting with the JEDI-SDL library to learn the basics of working with graphics, audio, mouse, keyboard and the rest before first as you'll find this the nicest way to learn how to start making games with Pascal.

A great site to get a kick-start on learning Pascal is the Pascal Programming for Schools website (PP4S for short) they are an affiliate of ours and we hope you will find their tutorials and lessons useful.

Quote Originally Posted by adam277 View Post
    Hello,

Starting a new course in September with pascal programming in it.
    So figured, might as well learn it now.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder