Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre April 2014 - Welcome to PGD! Make your first post here....

Hi!

I'm worm. I've been programming since I was ~12. Started with bat files to make DOS games work, moved on to Basic/C/VB. I had the chance to learn pascal back in high school, but decided to take C instead as pascal was 'lame'. I regret that decision!

Fast forward heaps of years and here I am, poking with Pascal for some stuff I want to do at work! Seems like a good fit.

Best way to learn something is to make stuff, imo. So, I'm making stuff! But it comes at a cost of "Where to start?!".

I've been lurking the last few days, but alas, I'm not sure what to make of the pascal libraries for game development available that are cross platform. Is everything actually dead? Is there something that I should be using for OSX/Windows/Linux that is better than the rest, readily available, and actually compiles without tweaks on mavericks?

Hi I'm Worm.

I'm pretty certain I wrote a whole thing about me here yesterday, but it's gone. Or maybe I didn't. I'm not sure about any thing any more....

Anyways, attempt 2!

Been programming since I was ~12. I started with bat files, then some quick basic, and quickly moved into C. We did basic and pascal in high school, but I skipped pascal claiming it was stupid. Was I ever wrong!

I'm currently making a game in my spare time in pascal, just picking it up as I go. I'm also working on utilizing lazarus and freepascal with my job

We shall see where it goes!

Delphi rules !

Hi everyone, PGD has so wonderful engines and people ! Delphi rules !

@Worm and comingnine
    Welcome to PGD. I hope your stay here would be as pleasant as posible.
    Plese do some more browsing through the forums for autopromotion system to kick in and unmoderate you so you will be able to post freely.

Hi Worm and comingnine, welcome to PGD, and I hope you find all the help that you need during your stay
    @Worm, I also started programming when I was almost 12

cheers,
    Paul

Hello everybody.

I'm not really sure how long such an introduction should be, so I'll make it short. My name is Jack, I'm 22 years old and know pretty much nothing about programming, let alone game development. I did some programming in pascal during high school, which I rather enjoyed, but since everyone else in the class was bored to death by it, our teacher moved on to excel, which means I'm basically starting from square one. I don't have big plans, but game developing seems like a rewarding and relaxing hobby, so I'm going to give it a shot. I started experimenting with SDL and this is what I've come up with so far (feel free to comment!), the movement doesn't work quite yet, though (not really sure why).
    Code:
    program sdltest;

uses
        sdl2, SDL2_image;
    const
         SCREEN_WIDTH: integer = 640;
         SCREEN_HEIGHT: integer = 480;
         quit: boolean = false;
    var
       win: pSDL_WINDOW;
       ren: pSDL_RENDERER;
       background, sprite: pSDL_TEXTURE;
       e: pSDL_EVENT;
       ret: pSDL_RECT;
       rect: pSDL_RECT;
       thisTime, lastTime: integer;
       dt: single;

begin
         win := SDL_CreateWindow('Hello World', 100, 100, SCREEN_WIDTH, SCREEN_HEIGHT, SDL_WINDOW_SHOWN);
         ren := SDL_CreateRenderer(win, -1, SDL_RENDERER_ACCELERATED or SDL_RENDERER_PRESENTVSYNC);
         background := IMG_LoadTexture(ren, 'background.png');
         sprite := IMG_LoadTexture(ren, 'sprite.png');
         new(ret);
         ret^.x := 0;
         ret^.y := 0;
         ret^.w := 64;
         ret^.h := 64;
         new(rect);
         rect^.x := 100;
         rect^.y := 100;
         rect^.w := 64;
         rect^.h := 64;
         new(e);

while quit = false do
         begin
              thisTime := SDL_GetTicks;
              dt := (thisTime - lastTime) / 1000;
              lastTime := thisTime;
                       while SDL_POLLEVENT(e) <> 0 do
                       begin
                            if e^.type_ = SDL_MOUSEBUTTONDOWN then
                               quit := TRUE;
                            if e^.type_ = SDL_KEYDOWN then
                               begin
                                case e^.type_ of
                                     SDLK_LEFT: rect^.x := rect^.x - 10;
                                     SDLK_RIGHT: rect^.x := rect^.x + 10;
                                     SDLK_UP: rect^.y := rect^.y - 10;
                                     SDLK_DOWN: rect^.y := rect^.y + 10;
                                 end;
                               end;
                       SDL_RenderClear(ren);
                       SDL_RenderCopy(ren, background, nil, nil);
                       SDL_RenderCopy(ren, sprite, ret, rect);
                       SDL_RenderPresent(ren);
                       end;

end;
         SDL_DestroyTexture(background);
         SDL_DestroyTexture(sprite);
         SDL_DestroyRenderer(ren);
         SDL_DestroyWindow(win);

IMG_QUIT;
         SDL_QUIT;
    end.
    That's it. Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by much.love View Post
    Hello everybody.

I'm not really sure how long such an introduction should be, so I'll make it short. My name is Jack, I'm 22 years old and know pretty much nothing about programming, let alone game development.
    Hi Jack!
    Welcome to PGD! I hope your stay here would be as pleasent as posible. Please do some more browsing through the forums for autopromotion system to kick in and unmoderate you.

I did some programming in pascal during high school, which I rather enjoyed, but since everyone else in the class was bored to death by it, our teacher moved on to excel, which means I'm basically starting from square one.
    I'm Sorry to hear that.
    Was rest of the class less bored working with Excer rather than with programming?
    Or was you simply unlucky of being in a class full of lazy pepole who werent prepared to learn anything new (most pepole know athleast some basics about Excel)?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    Hi Jack!
    I'm Sorry to hear that.
    Was rest of the class less bored working with Excer rather than with programming?
    Or was you simply unlucky of being in a class full of lazy pepole who werent prepared to learn anything new (most pepole know athleast some basics about Excel)?
    Haha, they were just as bored with excel. The switch from pascal didn't really help much in that regard, but our teacher stuck with it anyways, because it had a more "immediate applicability".

but our teacher stuck with it anyways, because it had a more "immediate applicability".
    Yes that is ture. There is more applicability to use of excel than some programming language. But since most pepole know how to use it it doesn't give you much help in finding job nowadays.
    But I also have to admit that excel is quite powerfull and you can do wonder with it. For instance you can create a 3D graphics engine with it. Sorta. Check the link below and be mindblown as I was when I saw the article for the first time
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...ionary_3d_.php

yougofar

About Pascal Game Development

Hello, I am new here. I want to know what are the unique features of pascal and how to learn about it in the most efficient way. Thank you very much.

Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast