Thread: What service to host global high scores and achievements?

Question What service to host global high scores and achievements?

What services (free preferably) do you know that host global high-scores, achievements, player accounts, etc. ?

(I'm referring to services such as http://openfeint.com/)

Which have you used tried? (as a developer or as a user?)

What did you like/dislike?

Do you know nay that have RESTful APIs? (read & write, f.i. OpenFeint's RESTful API is read only)

Blog Entries
    For iOS there is of course OpenFeint and Game Center. Game Center is coming to Mac OS X 10.8 soon.

I've also tried a few Steam games their system/store supports both Windows and Mac I believe.

I thought about starting something like that for Pascal game devs, but not sure if it would make much of a difference unless it had a whole game store/catalog attached to it.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I have used OpenFeint as a developer and I found it really easy and confortable to work with. It has Game Center integration built-in for iOS, so you don't have to worry about implementing two services in your application. OpenFeint is something I will use in future mobile games.

As for user-side I have tried Steam as well and I think it's great. As for mobile services I have used Scoreloop, GameCenter and OpenFeint where I found OpenFeint to be the best experience with its pretty UI and more features than GameCenter.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Blog Entries
    Apparently Microsoft is coming out with a Game Center of their own, but compared to Steam it's not as good as you have that whole gaming community buying games through Steam. (more attraction than one that can't)

I think you'll want to try the bigger names with bigger communities for whatever platforms you're porting to.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder