View Poll Results: What are your top 3 favorite "classic" game genre?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • First Person Shooter (Doom, Medal of Honour)

14 48.28%
  • Real Time Strategy (StarCraft, Command & Conquer)

18 62.07%
  • Side-Scrolling Platformer/Shooter (Super Mario Bros, Contra, Mega Man, Castlevania)

8 27.59%
  • Point-and-Click Adventure (Quest for Glory, Secret of Monkey Island)

7 24.14%
  • Role Playing Game (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest)

11 37.93%
  • Economy Management Games (Sim City, Populus)

9 31.03%
  • Sports Simulation (Racing, Hockey, Baseball)

5 17.24%
  • Squad-based Combat (X-COM, Jagged Alliance)

3 10.34%
  • Puzzle (Tetris, Loom)

3 10.34%
  • Other... (Tell us!)

4 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your Top 3 Game Genre?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I like decent simulation games. Unfortunatly many games nowadays have "Simulation" in their title but are far from being simulaton (poor reality). If I would have to name a few games I would say "King of the Road" aka. "HardTruck 2" for trucking simulation, "Live for Speed" for racing simulation, and "Flight Unlimited 3" for flying simulation.
    I also like strategy games a lot. (Warcraft series, Settlers series, Sim City series, City XL, Outpost 2, etc.)
    I do like squad based tactical games especialy SciFi themed (X-Com seires, UFO Extraterestial, UFO Alien Invasion - still in development).

Anywhay in games I value good gameplay (smoth controls, decent lenght, good replayability) over the state of the art graphics. Unfortunatly there are many games where developers spent a long time making superb graphics and in the end forget about the gameplay. Also if we talk about simulation games I demand for them to be as realistic as posible.

aww such a nice list then putting "Squad-based Combat" at the end :/
    its turn based strategy and like real time strategy its a subcategory of the strategy genre
    simulations go in one hand too, point and click counts under adventure games
    you asked about "classic" genre just want to clear thinks up

since most games today are crossover titles its hard to pick but i think my fav keymechanics are RPGs, FPS (only multiplayer part) and Platformer
    but i really play any game i get on my hands to analyze graphicstyle, coremechanics and so on

Turn-based strategy games (Panzer General, Civilization, Hearts of Iron) is my favorite genre.
    If you develop an idiot proof system, the nature develops better idiots.

RPG: Skyrim, WoW, Startrek online...
    RTS: Starcraft 2, Total Annihilation, Master of Orion 2
    FPS: Hmm.. not many lately, but some good ones Quake 1&2, Unreal Tournament

Sometimes definition of FPS and RPG can get blurred a bit. Many RPG games are from first or 3rd person view.

Blog Entries
    I'm so sorry Space/Flight Sim(Wing Commander, Flight Simulator X), 4X(Civilization, Master of Magic) and Hack-n-Slash(Diablo, Dungeon Siege) categories. I had no more room.

Then there is other more recent ones (as in the last decade or so) like 3rd person platformers/shooters, user generated content/sandbox games(newest I believe), Party games, MMOs and so on. Since I had so little room for selections I decided to stick with the more classic game genres since there are many that have almost been forgotten by the industry these days. Makes me happy to see companies like Double Fine and 2 Player Productions willing to make new games in and older genre. Of course I always love seeing a new genre unfold with those titles that seem to defy what the industry is doing currently.

X-COM was awesome! I specially liked Jagged Alliance and am sorely disappointed that they didn't port the new one to the Mac or at least bring it to the consoles so I can play it. Bumber!

I find that I'm a little like Eric these days myself. I have a whole collection of PS3 games that I find I don't play much, but intend to fully someday soon. Some aren't even out of the package yet and I bought them when I got my machine a few x-mas' ago. lol
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Daikrys View Post
    aww such a nice list then putting "Squad-based Combat" at the end :/
    its turn based strategy and like real time strategy its a subcategory of the strategy genre
    Squad-based Combat doesn't necessary need to be turnbased but can also be realtime (take a look into X-Com 3 Apocalipse). Also Squad-based Combat is a mixture between strategy either turnbased or realtime and RPG. Members of your squad actualy evolve during the game, if they arent kiled obviously, they gain expirience, their stats improve etc. Actualy the mentioned fetures are core of any RPG styled game.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    Squad-based Combat doesn't necessary need to be turnbased but can also be realtime (take a look into X-Com 3 Apocalipse). Also Squad-based Combat is a mixture between strategy either turnbased or realtime and RPG. Members of your squad actualy evolve during the game, if they arent kiled obviously, they gain expirience, their stats improve etc. Actualy the mentioned fetures are core of any RPG styled game.
    but squad based combat is no "classic" genre its a crossover of strategie and most often roleplaying elements, but yeah since i think of fallout tactics it dont have to be turn based

EDIT: oh and Will you asked about "classic" genre so crossovers dont count
    and the Others... button leave enough freedom

basicly there wasnt a real FPS or TPS genre they where subgenre of the big "action" genre but i dont like the definition "action" better put shooter in a single genre cause there much subgenre in shooter themself

back in my studies there was a big discussion about classic genre and we kinda sort out a list we could live with
    Last edited by Daikrys; 23-03-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hmm... Looks like some genres are beginning to pull away from the pack

And shouldn't that read medal of honor - not metal of honour?
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    And shouldn't that read medal of honor - not metal of honour?
    Yes it should. I fixed it now.

Blog Entries
    My bad, thanks SilverWarior! ...but then, how do you know I didn't mean a totally different game?

It's funny, but the polls (right now) do seem to somewhat reflect what the current trend in commercial games are today. RTS on top, then FPS. RPG is third. Getting further down it's Economy 4th and Side-scrolling 5th while 6th is Point-and-Click. Some anomalies there, but for the most part what is strong today is still fairly strong from what we liked of the classics.

I do like seeing a few others in there doing well as the trendy stuff.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast