Thread: Resources for new projects: what to do?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pitfiend View Post
    When you start a game project, which is your choice for graphic and audio resources?
    Graphics: a graphics artist, Music: hiring a music composer, Sound effects: purchasing some cheap/commercial sound effects and then modifying them. There is also a tool that can generate some basic sound effects, but I've lost the link to it. Perhaps someone else has it?

Quote Originally Posted by pitfiend View Post
    The other question is, do you start building the game or the resources?
    This question is not formulated properly. What you should be thinking is: what work you should be doing that will give you the highest impact with the lowest cost/time. So basically, do what you do best and fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
    There is also a tool that can generate some basic sound effects, but I've lost the link to it. Perhaps someone else has it?
    Perhaps you are refering to SFXR?

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
    Perhaps you are refering to SFXR?
    Yes, thank you!

Try to find someone on a graphics/music forum.
    If you promise to share the potential benefits from your game, you will surely find someone.

Type of Work ..........................| Commercial Tools ....................| Free Tools ................
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3D Graphics ............................| Max3d, LightWave, Maya, ... .....| Blender ....................
    2D Graphics, Post-Processing .....| Photoshop .............................| Gimp ........................
    Scalable Vector Graphics ...........| Corel Draw ............................| InkScape ..................
    Freehand Painting ....................| Corel Painter ..........................| MyPaint ....................
    Music Composing .....................| Cubase, Fruity Loops, ... ..........| LMMS .......................
    Sound Effects .........................| VSTi plugins, Microphone, ... .....| Free VSTi plugins .......
    Programming ...........................| Delphi XE2, ... ........................| Lazarus, Turbo Delphi ..
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cost: ..................................... > 7000$ .................................. 0$ ...........................
    Satisfaction: ............................ ......................................... .........................
    Last edited by mobilus; 27-03-2012 at 03:38 AM. Reason: I forgot about Turbo Delphi.

Quote Originally Posted by mobilus View Post
    Try to find someone on a graphics/music forum.
    If you promise to share the potential benefits from your game, you will surely find someone.

Type of Work ..........................| Commercial Tools ....................| Free Tools ................
    3D Graphics ............................| Max3d, LightWave, Maya, ... .....| Blender ....................
    2D Graphics, Post-Processing .....| Photoshop .............................| Gimp ........................
    Scalable Vector Graphics ...........| Corel Draw ............................| InkScape ..................
    Freehand Painting ....................| Corel Painter ..........................| MyPaint ....................
    Music Composing .....................| Cubase, Fruity Loops, ... ..........| LMMS .......................
    Sound Effects .........................| VSTi plugins, Microphone, ... .....| Free VSTi plugins .......
    Programming ...........................| Delphi XE2, ... ........................| Lazarus, Turbo Delphi ..
    Cost: ..................................... > 7000$ .................................. 0$ ...........................
    Satisfaction: ............................ ......................................... .........................
    haha! nice

Blog Entries
    You can't get Turbo Delphi anymore.

But there is Lazarus and Delphi XE2 Starter Edition is a more reasonable purchase for an indie than the other editions.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I have a friend who makes pixelart for my games, so luckily gfx part of this problem is mostly non-existent. I know how to do some basic stuff, be it GIMP or a more pixelart-focused editor - so if I'm missing something, I can create some acceptably-looking placedholder. Or, I can always try asking another one of my friends.

For sounds, I sometimes use findsounds.com, but most of the time - my quite extensive .wav library taken from a lot of games, game mods et cetera, quite often edited using Audacity.

Music is the biggest bummer, as none of my friends really does anything in this field.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    You can't get Turbo Delphi anymore.

But there is Lazarus and Delphi XE2 Starter Edition is a more reasonable purchase for an indie than the other editions.
    You're right.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    By the way, if you are a student, you can get Delphi XE 2 Professional for around $30 using their Academic Program's portal.