Thread: Resources for new projects: what to do?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    if you dont have a big budget buying graphic assets would be to expensive, it depends on how much you can spend
    a good way is to look at turbosquid or some other sites for cheap or free assets, note that if you found a good asset you have to look after the artists homepage cause if you directly buy from him you can avoid the turbosquid fee and save 30-50%

i also found 99designs but havent tested yet, you can make an offer and look if anyone will take the job

another choice may making the assets all yourself, free tools for 3d would be Blender for example
    and for 2d i highly recommend Inkscape and Gimp
    you can learn from various tutorials on the web for example here
    also the Pixelprospector resource page may help

for music you should go royality free with sites like Melodyloops
    same goes for sounds
    if you dont make a commercial project you can also find free music and sounds trough google

EDIT: i also recommend what Will said, if you dont have a short timeframe even when you go commercial you should use placeholder and polish things up later
    i also do this for my prototypes
    in bigger projects i create them on demand cause i make the graphic assets myself but still using placeholder for music cause it would consume to much time to do them myself too
    Last edited by Daikrys; 26-03-2012 at 12:15 PM.