Thread: Resources for new projects: what to do?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    David was telling me that they were going to be pushing this. $30 is a great deal. Where was this announced? I would have made a news post, would that I had been informed by Embarcadero.
    I'm not sure, but this seems to be its web page.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    The Starter edition $1000 limit on revenues is what is limiting it, as it applies to revenues, rather than sales (so everything that is a revenue from an accounting point of view counts towards it, and that encompasses far more than sales).
    What does this mean? Isn't it Revenue = Income - Expenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
    What does this mean? Isn't it Revenue = Income - Expenses?
    "revenue" is all the forms of raw income (aka "top line"), while "income minus expenses" is profits or net income (aka bottom line). So you can have revenue not just without having profits, but also when losing money.

What goes into the "revenue" are sales, interests etc. Pretty much every company has revenues of some sort, even those that haven't yet sold anything, if only because they'll have placed the capital they use to pay wages on a bank account with interests, or accounting practices dictate that tax cuts appear as virtual revenue vs virtual expenses, etc.

So this makes Delphi Starter a much more limited proposition than f.i. Microsoft BizSpark, which is basically free for 3 years or until you reach $1 million in revenue. 3 years is plenty of time for a startup, and you're unlikely to reach $1 million without having some serious sales or a seriously huge amount of cash in the bank, while the $1000 can be passed easily even without any actual sales.