Thread: Resources for new projects: what to do?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    But, is there a way to identify your binaries? I mean, a binary made with a student edition is signed differently than an enterprise made one? If not, then all that thing about license has no meaning. Just a list of restrictions of what you are allowed to do. Seems to me, it's just an abusive way for Embarcadero to make it's income.
    Last edited by pitfiend; 28-03-2012 at 10:35 PM.

I'm not sure if the binaries can be identified or not, and in either case it won't make much difference besides violating the privacy of the end user, since identifiable binaries can be a security risk. I'm not a lawyer but I don't think they will break your leg for publishing something that was made with Academic Edition during your school years.

I mean, it would be different if you continue to publish commercial stuff after graduating, but in this case you can always opt for a Starter if budget is low, or simply get the expensive Professional edition.

Purchasing Professional edition wasn't much of a deal earlier when only Windows 32-bit was supported, but now with 64-bit, Mac OS and iOS, it's a pretty good deal.

Another way of getting around Academic limitations would be developing product with Academic edition and when it's finished, purchase commercial license to start selling, thus getting some time advantage.

As I see it, nothing stops you to use an educational version instead of a pro, just your sense of honesty. In the end, it's only an ethical issue. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting nor enforcing something illegal, just pointing at an exploit.

Delphi compiler does write an information about wich version of software was used (trial, acadamic, other). The data is writen in the same block that dfm contents are.
    But as far as I know when you use various executable packing programs this information gets packed with the rest and thus can't be read unles packing proces is reversed.

Blog Entries
    There used to be some sort of stripping tool that removed some "useless" data from Delphi compiled EXEs so that you could create a 4 KB program for something similar to the demoscene competitions. (ie. Assembly)

In fact there used to be a tutorial on PGD that showed you how to create such a 4 KB executable.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    Delphi compiler does write an information about wich version of software was used (trial, acadamic, other). The data is writen in the same block that dfm contents are.
    But as far as I know when you use various executable packing programs this information gets packed with the rest and thus can't be read unles packing proces is reversed.
    Are you really really sure? I just checked some binaries made with delphi 7 and delphi 2007, and the only weird resource I found was something called DVCLAL present in all of them with the same content, unless I did something wrong I think there's no borland/codgear nag/signature. If anyone wants to confirm this, here is the hex string I found in both compiler's binaries 263D4F38C28237B8F3244203179B3A83

I'm quite sure. I don't know exactly where this information is being stored but when you use PE Explorer for analysing executables made with delphi this is one of the information being displayed in the program besides the VCL component hirearhial structure and several other interesting data.

Yesterday a friend of mine, points me to this site http://www.fightersgeneration.com, it have a lot of sprites taken from many fighting games. Hope you enjoy it!