Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Resources for new projects: what to do?

Blog Entries
    You can't get Turbo Delphi anymore.

But there is Lazarus and Delphi XE2 Starter Edition is a more reasonable purchase for an indie than the other editions.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I have a friend who makes pixelart for my games, so luckily gfx part of this problem is mostly non-existent. I know how to do some basic stuff, be it GIMP or a more pixelart-focused editor - so if I'm missing something, I can create some acceptably-looking placedholder. Or, I can always try asking another one of my friends.

For sounds, I sometimes use findsounds.com, but most of the time - my quite extensive .wav library taken from a lot of games, game mods et cetera, quite often edited using Audacity.

Music is the biggest bummer, as none of my friends really does anything in this field.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    You can't get Turbo Delphi anymore.

But there is Lazarus and Delphi XE2 Starter Edition is a more reasonable purchase for an indie than the other editions.
    You're right.

There are some sites that offers free resources. I use OpenGameArt to look for testing resources. They have a lot of nice resources, from graphics to music. Of course you should read the licenses for every resource you use.
    No signature provided yet.

That's really quite impressive, thanks for your advice. I have Delphi 7 & 2007. So the compiler is already taken. For sound effects I'll try that Paul's recomendation (I must confess that a project to build a sound maker is on my todo list, also a sprite editor). For the graphics I'll go with the Gimp and an old tile editor made with Delphi (http://tilestudio.sourceforge.net/). For music I still didn't decide between mod, midi, mp3 or ogg.

By the way, if you are a student, you can get Delphi XE 2 Professional for around $30 using their Academic Program's portal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
    By the way, if you are a student, you can get Delphi XE 2 Professional for around $30 using their Academic Program's portal.
    David was telling me that they were going to be pushing this. $30 is a great deal. Where was this announced? I would have made a news post, would that I had been informed by Embarcadero.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I'm junior only on the forums, 20 years ago I was a student. Actually I develop comercial apps for the insurance and human resources business, but I have enough, need something more enjoyable and maybe could forget that I did that kind of boring crap.

I would have made a news post, would that I had been informed by Embarcadero.
    haha! That would have been too easy, for them to tell you!

Blog Entries
    Take a cheap course and get more than a tenth of the price off the Professional version of the new Delphi. lol

That's ok Paul, at least I have all you good folks to help me out with finding the important stuff like that.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast