Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Planet texture generation code

Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
    Some things can be learned from minecraft. It's not world size that makes a difference, but how much you show it at the time.
    Yes Minecraft can be good exampla of how to have huge maps with low memory consumption.
    But From what I understand whtemple1959 is trying to make real time strategy game similar to OpenTTD. For RTS you need to have whole map loaded at all times.

I'm not sure if Google-maps contain height information.
    Google-Maps do contain height information but it is only available through Google Earth application and not Online Maps.

There simply isn't height data in 10 meter accuracy propably anywhere, and such database would be measured in terabytes.
    I belive Google Maps do have such acuracy.

Especially for project like this, you can expect that "player" doesn't make any changes to the terrain, so it's possible all the data can be in static sized blocks.
    If he is trying to make somekinda remake of OpenTTD he will probably alow player to modify terrain as it is posible in OpenTTD.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    Yes Minecraft can be good exampla of how to have huge maps with low memory consumption.
    But From what I understand whtemple1959 is trying to make real time strategy game similar to OpenTTD. For RTS you need to have whole map loaded at all times.
    &
    If he is trying to make somekinda remake of OpenTTD he will probably alow player to modify terrain as it is posible in OpenTTD.
    Nope, only need to load parts where things are happening and even then just what is needed.

Need bit more information maybe. From whtemple1959's message it sounded like RPG or adventure game. In any case, you can't have the whole world "living" at the same time. If you have key structures like airports or such, they can be separate objects from the terrain entirely. Can send aircraft to different airports and so on. Just when you load their area you would see them visually. Single cars in city streets, there's no reason to simulate that for whole world at all times.

Slightly related on topic is 1 of my units in nxPascal. Capable of keeping a huge world loaded up in memory at the same time. Unused parts are compressed, and used parts are automatically recompressed after certain time of no use.
    Last edited by User137; 07-11-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234