Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Portal Adventure

Blog Entries
    2 day extension, does this appeal to you? http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...-Day-Extension
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I think I can use these extra 2 days to make some minor changes.
    To be honnest I've "locked" the uploaded version since Tuesday 24rth. Before uploading I spend 3-4 days for the "lazy" work, such as correcting bugs, source code clean up and formating/beautification and as well playing the game again and again to see if the play-through is acceptable and everything "fits". A complete play-through is about 30 minutes (it will be much more for someone who will first play the game and is not aware of the "secrets"). Initially I was planning 3 additional locations (I have the ideas) but I prefered to stop as the game "complied" with the challenge goals. I would like to implement more locations but, adding even only one new location would be imposible for me to make it in just 2 days (even if I have the ideas in my mind), considering that a new location needs resources, design, source code, and, mainly, changes to the scenario and finally testing-testing-testing (one "universal" test = 30 minutes +).
    There is always "room" for some speed improvements but current version gives 100-300 fps in modern hardware (HD resolution) and most of the time speed improvements makes the source code more complex. Also, from my experience, when making speed improvements in a hurry you have the risk of a buggy release.
    I always try to finish in time, not on time, because "on time" leaves no time for correcting bugs. But there is always room for a post competition release without the anxiety of an upcoming deadline

Blog Entries
    Well hopefully you can get some use out of it. I was actually thinking "...if everyone starts to expect an extension will anyone have their games ready in the future?" I hope it never comes to that.

Something that a lot of people complained about with the PGD Annual was that it was a long development period. To some maybe, to come not. We have a game made in 3 days where we have a few that have worked day and night for 4 weeks straight. Maybe that's a discussion all on it's own, but it does make you think about how people perceive available time as opposed to allotted time.

Thanks for posting the video!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Maybe that's a discussion all on it's own, but it does make you think about how people perceive available time as opposed to allotted time.
    Well it is hard to talk about free time or allotted time. Many of us have jobs, schools, families and other obligations wich lowers our free time a lot. Also you need to realize that most pepole don't allot all the free time to programing and game development. Pepole just don't have enough energy for that.
    I myself had for about two weeks of free time during whole competition time, and I allotted about 10 days of it for game development.
    Yes I know that for many pepole 10 days would be more than enough but I myself am a bit slow. The main reason for that is that I tend to be thorough in whatever I do. Thats who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Valavanis View Post
    I've just uploaded a small video.
    And where is it?
    No signature provided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ñuño Martínez View Post
    And where is it?
    Folder "videos"

I've uploaded a newer version with some minnor fixes.

I see. Thanks
    No signature provided yet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123