Thread: Portal Adventure

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Portal Adventure

Hi, I've spend the last few days thinking about the theme for my entry.
    I came up with a basic scenario: portals that can travel you all around the world not only in space but also in time.
    In some cases the player must obtain keys to jump from a place to another place.
    I will use simplified 3D, no fancy stuff, due to limited time and possibly a lot of "programmer's artwork".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Very cool! I'm imagining seeing the other world through this oval/square shaped portal 'window'.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Time portals, won't that make things really tricky? I mean, if you can go to the same place in different times, what if you get there in an earlier time than the previous visit? Classic time paradox problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingemar View Post
    Classic time paradox problem.
    I don't have in mind to revisit a place in different time periods, each place will be visited in only one time period.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Valavanis View Post
    I don't have in mind to revisit a place in different time periods, each place will be visited in only one time period.
    Sensible. Less exciting but sensible. It would be interesting to model how changes in the past affects the present, recursively, but it would be really, really hard.

Blog Entries
    Ingemar got me really excited thinking about the idea of such gameplay.

In theory it can be done by recording the player's actions in the game, then as you return (back at the same time) you could litterally end up playing against yourself. Though you wouldn't have that same interaction as if it were really happening. Basically your other version of you would simply ignore you. Unless you code the first REAL game time machine. lol I think you'd easily win the competition should you do something like that. At least for innovation and fun.

For a 4 week development period though, not sure if such complex game mechanics would be feasible though.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder