Using the title Stargate or characters, symbolic props or creatures/characters from the TV show or movies would violate their IP. As such any game submission that included such a violation would not be acceptable in the PGD Challenge competition.

The rules on IP are very specific to prevent PGD (and myself) from violating other people hard earned brands and ideas. Should someone respect them or not, big or small it doesn't matter, it's legally theirs, just as if you created something unique and were using it to make your money, or not, the same would apply. In principle, because we are a community driven website we have to consider these things. I have always gone by this rule; if we can pick and choose any IP to violate or not, then how can our community members trust us to respect their IP should they come to cherish it?

So as far as PGD is concerned, there are no options here. We cannot and will not bend on this. The community's respect is worth more to us than that. That's the moral stand-point.

Should the legal aspects and moral obligations we try to uphold not persuade you, here is the practical stand-point.

PGD as an entity, when you break it down frankly is just me and a few of my online buddies who are running a community site that want to keep on good terms with everyone and thrive on the internet for a hobby that we and a good few hundred others come on here and like to program games as well. Do continue doing this we need to play nice legally and socially. Since both socially and legally, IP usage without the proper permissions goes against the public interest and key laws that could prevent us from operating the site, we must go along with this set of rules ourselves.

Lets say we got in a whole bunch of Star Trek and Star Wars fan-made games. Nothing sold, nothing battered, just made for the love of those IPs. Well this seems harmless and probably would be for the most part. Except to us. We could then have Gene Roddenberry Jr. and George Lucas' lawers knocking on our virtual doors telling us to remove the legally infringing content from our sites and anywhere else we may have used it.

Such content, which we would otherwise have used to help promote the PGD community and future events like the PGD Challenge, we can no longer use in things like video ads to promote future competitions, awards videos showing off top games of the year, magazine articles showing all the games, showcase of all past PGD Challenge games allowing them all for download. The content you put into the games must allow us to show it off and allow us to share it with others. Infringing materials, illegal materials (such as inappropriate things) we want no part of because of the problems they bring.

So practically, we can't show off your work and we can't let others see it either. What's the point of your submitting such a thing in the first place if it's going to have to be pulled off the sites anyhow? Sure you can hope that it goes unnoticed, but I don't like to let everything just flap in the wind, I like the assurances that the community is secure and that I'm not going to help things ripped out of my hands when I need it to help the community. I don't have time to play silly legal games with outside parties that have nothing better to do than to uphold these rules either. So to deal with violating IP stuff is just impractical.

So there you have it, both the high and low roads. Either way you want to approach it, we cannot accept violated IP. We have not in the past and we will not in the future. I hope knowing why helps.