Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stargate: The Journey

Stargate: The Journey

Stargate: The Journey (actually work name)
    Starting with the main object of our game )))
    We have an idea, a lot of work and will to win. Cmon PDG!

Theory is - when you know everything but nothing works.
    Practice is - when all works, but you don't know why.
    We combine theory and practice - nothing works and nobody knows why

The ring reminds me of the Stargate TV series.

Actually it is. Most of all this gate is similar to StarGate Universe.
    This is just first step, I don't actually like how it looks now.

Not sure, but wouldn't you violate IP if you make a StarGate (or very very very similar to) game?
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pstudio View Post
    Not sure, but wouldn't you violate IP if you make a StarGate (or very very very similar to) game?
    Yes, unfortunately it would.

I like Stargate just as much as any other sci-fi fan, but such a title and imagery would violate this IP and break the rules of the competition sadly.

The idea of using gates to travel from one world to another however isn't exclusive to Stargate, why not focus on that, but remove any IP stuff such as title or imagery and come up with a new title that would stand on it's own?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Space journey, or is that a coincidence?

I don't violate IP when i do not get any commercial interest from it. For first.
    Second. I do not use any of official stuff, my art is exclusive and made by my own (are you seriously think tha my FAN art is violate any IP?)

If it uncomfortable for some reasons to right's holder he can only ask you to remove content that violates his rights, no more. There is no law that violates me from draw fan art. So think twice when you say something like that.

And for all top of things... how about Stargate:Redemption? How about fan-made Halflife, Mortal Kombat and other short films (can be found on youtube)? It is not violation until I do not take money for that and do not use official stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthman View Post
    I don't violate IP when i do not get any commercial interest from it. For first.
    Second. I do not use any of official stuff, my art is exclusive and made by my own (are you seriously think tha my FAN art is violate any IP?)
    I did consider "stealing" some music for the game, but I avoid that in order not to infringe on copyrights. But you are quite right that nobody will care when it is not a commercial product.

I say more. If it have no commercial part it can be a great ad for title. i.e. For my noncommercial game Void Story I easily get rights from owners to use their songs in my game. But with 2 limitations: I must mention that it is not my music, give link to their site, their band name etc. Second - I must pack music. Music cannot be listenet not from game. That's all.
    I really do not believe that all the Stargate fans all over the world ask permission to draw art, render a model or write music that created as fan art.

So, if it is problem for this website, this is very sad. When I use resources that not really mine, I mention it. Look my IGDC 69 Intro. I mention that demo was made by inspiration of TRON movie by Walt Disney. I mention that is Daft Pung music played in intro. And nobody dont ask me to remove it.

So what the problem with it? Problem that i will make some ads to stargate? Or you just that i draw different glyphs on gates, change name? But the game will be still the same. Nothing changes with it. It's ridiculous.

Tell me your decision as fast as you can, WILL. So I will not loose my time more (with that 3 nights that I already passed) and make my game for competition. I really dissapointed by this kind of restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthman View Post
    I say more. If it have no commercial part it can be a great ad for title. i.e. For my noncommercial game Void Story I easily get rights from owners to use their songs in my game. But with 2 limitations: I must mention that it is not my music, give link to their site, their band name etc. Second - I must pack music. Music cannot be listenet not from game. That's all.
    I really do not believe that all the Stargate fans all over the world ask permission to draw art, render a model or write music that created as fan art.

So, if it is problem for this website, this is very sad. When I use resources that not really mine, I mention it. Look my IGDC 69 Intro. I mention that demo was made by inspiration of TRON movie by Walt Disney. I mention that is Daft Pung music played in intro. And nobody dont ask me to remove it.

So what the problem with it? Problem that i will make some ads to stargate? Or you just that i draw different glyphs on gates, change name? But the game will be still the same. Nothing changes with it. It's ridiculous.

Tell me your decision as fast as you can, WILL. So I will not loose my time more (with that 3 nights that I already passed) and make my game for competition. I really dissapointed by this kind of restrictions.
    Concerning music, I hardly expect a big record company to say much. Either they don't reply (very likely) or they say no. Well, that is my experience.

But let's discuss your game ideas instead. I don't think you need to worry about names or art. Names can be slightly altered for the final version (like Fans Of Stargate, would clearly state both inspiration and that it is not part of the original) and the graphics can be redrawn a bit if it seems vital.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast