Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stargate: The Journey

Blog Entries
    All that said... it does not mean that you have to scrap your entire idea, just make it non-IP violating, that's all.

In fact should you remove all unauthorized IP, you can actually take your game and use it for something beyond this competition, even do something commercially viable with it. There is more benefit to keeping your game non-IP than there is to sticking to a false sense of taking a stand. Making a point is one thing, but to do so at the detriment of yourself is not a smart play. Besides, I've seen some of your original ideas, they turn out pretty darn good.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Good Luck with your competitions but this rule not to made fan games is biggest stupidity I ever seen.
    I'm Out.
    Last edited by Darthman; 05-04-2012 at 05:39 AM.
    Theory is - when you know everything but nothing works.
    Practice is - when all works, but you don't know why.
    We combine theory and practice - nothing works and nobody knows why

Quote Originally Posted by Darthman View Post
    Good Luck with your competitions but this rule not to made fan games is biggest stupidity I ever seen.
    I'm Out.
    IMHO you are overreacting. If you find the rule stupid that is because you read too much limitations into it.

As far as I can see, the whole thread has been about encouraging you and giving you advice for how to make minor changes to make sure the game can't be accused of being a rip-off. What is stupid about that?

You said yourself "There is no law that violates me from draw fan art." and that is what has been said all along. Draw your own art and most IP questions are gone. It isn't hard to move half a step to the side and not violating anything. You can still make references to the original in many ways. That is "citation right" and does not violate ay IP.

I wanted to create a fan game. Not only me but my companion too. And if we will not be able to win with it, we will not. If we keep stargate theme we will be disqualified.
    I Draw gate with myself but all of you said that this is violation. I do not want to draw different gates, cause it will be not a SG gates anymore in that case.
    Theory is - when you know everything but nothing works.
    Practice is - when all works, but you don't know why.
    We combine theory and practice - nothing works and nobody knows why

You know what? Roland Emmerich stole the idea himself ...
    Here is the (google translated) article of the German wikipedia: http://translate.google.de/translate...;_Das_Original
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

If you can genuinely make a game so that you don't have Stargate posters or other pictures showing up as copy reference, but just draw them by your own imagination, then i don't see it having any legal effect. But that's propably what everybody else already said...

Quote Originally Posted by Darthman View Post
    I don't violate IP when i do not get any commercial interest from it. For first.
    Second. I do not use any of official stuff, my art is exclusive and made by my own (are you seriously think tha my FAN art is violate any IP?)
    Alas that's incorrect, if you use names or similar-looking custom made art in publicly released works, you're still violating IP... (there are some exceptions, like for parody)

Case in point I recently got a notice from Atari for a game that used a name they had under IP, it was free, and the graphics didn't even bear any relation to their IP. Had to rename/remove it.

As for Stargate IP, I know a few websites that reused the name for games, they were left alone for years, then suddenly got notices, had to relinquish the domain names, and remove/rename all the materials with IP elements in them.

There is no law that violates me from draw fan art.
    No, as long as you keep it private and don't release it to the public. Once it's released, it's up to whoever owns the IP.

Blog Entries
    That's disappointing, but the competition goes on. Maybe next time.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123