Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: War Trail

It does not work for me. The map loads and show, and the flag is there at the first position, but when I click it nothing happens. This happens in Firefox 11. It works in Chrome though.

Quote Originally Posted by de_jean_7777 View Post
    It does not work for me. The map loads and show, and the flag is there at the first position, but when I click it nothing happens. This happens in Firefox 11. It works in Chrome though.
    Yes, as I wrote, Firefox isn't supported yet, it will likely be later on, but will probably be slow (Firefox canvas hardware acceleration is either not enabled by default or buggy afaict)

Entry submitted!

Last version also playable at bit.ly/wartrail, preferably on Chrome, other browsers should work, but may not have best speed or all sounds.

Oopsie, fixed a last minute bug, uploaded a "_fixed" version, should show as 0.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Oopsie, fixed a last minute bug, uploaded a "_fixed" version, should show as 0.1.3
    Last minute? But the last minute is tomorrow! (Unless my definition on the 29th is way off.)

Blog Entries
    You can submit new fixed or updated versions as always. I'd recommend that you just number them sequentially as a means to show which is the "newest" so that we don't accidentally use an older one (with the problem) to be judged and scored. I found that there was a lot of strange conventions used in the 1st challenge submissions. Sticking to a numeric system works best as we only have to think higher = newest/best.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

A couple bugs I've found in this:

The "Win/Loss" scoreboard actually shows wins/total games. (So if you win 4 matches and lose 1, it will say 4/5).

Related to the previous, quitting out of a match in progress increases the Loss column by 1 even though you didn't lose. And since there's no way to restart a level, trying repeatedly for a 3 star rating on a difficult map can rack up a large quantity of "losses."

The ballista turret can sometimes get stuck turning in nonsensical ways, like continually turning clockwise to track an enemy that's moving clockwise across the field of fire (around a curve) without ever actually pointing at it enough to fire. This is particularly noticeable when you have the fast-moving enemies and the turret is placed on the inside of a curve in the track. (Which is the most logical place to put it.)

Quote Originally Posted by masonwheeler View Post
    The "Win/Loss" scoreboard actually shows wins/total games.
    That's a bit of a leftover really, I meant to replace it with trophies/achievements, but haven't found the time yet (the trophy icons are already in the sprite sheet IIRC, just not used)

like continually turning clockwise to track an enemy that's moving clockwise across the field of fire (around a curve) without ever actually pointing at it enough to fire.
    That's by design actually, all towers have a turn rate, so you all placements "in range" are not equivalent in terms of aiming and rate of fire. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    That's a bit of a leftover really, I meant to replace it with trophies/achievements, but haven't found the time yet (the trophy icons are already in the sprite sheet IIRC, just not used)
    Cool! Looking forward to seeing that!

That's by design actually, all towers have a turn rate, so you all placements "in range" are not equivalent in terms of aiming and rate of fire. :-)
    Fair enough, but this is a problem I haven't had in other tower defense games. They generally have enough AI to realize if they can't catch a certain target and then turn in the opposite direction to focus on a new target, so that they're not rendered completely useless. Would you be able to add something like that, as an anti-frustration feature? Because the current behavior really is highly frustrating.

Haven't found the time to update the game since the challenge (booh...)

Though thanks to node-webkit, there is now a standalone version available, grab the installer there
    setup-WarTrail-0.1.3.exe (30 MB)

Startup times are *fast*, as ressources no longer have to be downloaded (17+ MB for WarTrail). Also it'll work just fine whatever your favourite browser is (since it won't use it).

Should be possible to make standalone versions for Linux & Mac too, if someone is interested in trying...
    Last edited by Eric; 20-11-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123