Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd PGD Challenge - "Platformation"

2nd PGD Challenge - "Platformation"

Hey all,
    In my remaining time, I am going to attempt some sort of 2d side scrolling platform game using the Oxygene for Java Trial version

For want of a better name, I have decided to call it "Platformation" (just popped into my head!!)

I have decided to do some quick proto-typing in Lazarus first, and then port ideas across to Oxygene to speed things up

so will you be using lwjgl or something else? maybe slick?
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

Quote Originally Posted by pstudio View Post
    so will you be using lwjgl or something else? maybe slick?
    I will try lwjgl first and see how I go. I haven't heard of slick though what is that?

I guess you are using jMonkey?
    Last edited by paul_nicholls; 13-04-2012 at 02:55 AM. Reason: typo

Ahhh...I guess you mean this?
    http://slick.cokeandcode.com/

EDIT: hmm...neato! I had forgotten about this game engine, I think I will try it instead of using lwjgl directly...we will see
    Last edited by paul_nicholls; 13-04-2012 at 03:00 AM.

Well, I think I have some ideas for my game <GASP!>

I am going to have a ball that can roll around, or fly (limited fuel...collectable) using keyboard, and fire at enemies/targers using the mouse cursor.
    I am also thinking that I may have an 'elements' theme for each location - earth, fire, water (could include ice), air, neutral central hub location, and then some combination locations like fire/water, earth/air...

Different enemies (in locations) might shoot heat rays (fire location: set fire to player for short time - extra damage), freeze rays (water location: slow player down temporarily)...do you see a pattern here? hahaha

Finally!! I have gotten some output going using Oxygene for Java...not that is what my game output is going to be, it is just a test

I had to wrestle with getting various libraries working and not crashing...pstudio was nice to supply me with a JMonkey template that worked and which nightly builds worked (thanks!!), but I have decided to go with lwjgl for a shallower learning curve for me (Oxgene for Java + new game library) haha

cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by paul_nicholls; 15-04-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
    I have decided to call it "Platformation" (just popped into my head!!)
    Cool! Very inspiring name

Blog Entries
    Very cool Paul! I'm glad you are having success.

Will you be releasing source code so that others can have examples of how to make games using Oxygene for Java?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Valavanis View Post
    Cool! Very inspiring name
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Very cool Paul! I'm glad you are having success.

Will you be releasing source code so that others can have examples of how to make games using Oxygene for Java?
    I believe I will release the source code to help others...will probably not be the best code in my rush to finish the competition though! haha

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast