I think its personal choice - thanks to libraries in the form of .dlls and .sos there's no real excuse to isolate other languages, and to be fair - there is very little freepascal and delphi can't do that c++ can. In fact in many areas I'd argue the opposite. I think the criticism from the C/C++ side of the fence is based on their experience with turbo pascal back in the day, which doesn't really translate into the full picture of pascal today.

Reading a few of those reddit posts - I would say that the comments that state pascal has lost a large share of the market is a load of rubbish, pascal has gained traction under the development of delphi, it can now be compiled for java and for flash. If anything, thats the as good a pedigree if not better than what C cam offer.

My last point (since I think you guys get where I'm going with this) would be that any argument made under the delusion that pascal cannot work on the performance/cutting edge end (at least not as well as c) is largely incorrect. Just take a jog around PGD and have a look at all the new stuff popping up everywhere. As for success on the current market - look what Andru did with ZenGl.

In my opinion (irony, I know) I would say that the c crowd trying to marginalize pascal in that way only do it out of ignorance and preference that theirs is the best and only way. Nothing more. Personally, to those people I'd go all out, make something amazing and unique then come back and point out that the code they are now looking at and thinking 'not a half bad idea' was written in pascal - not c - and the reason for that being that you could read your own code without lifting a finger. Something I know C has a very many issues with.

Edit:
pstudio: Having rescrolled the page, and read your post. Uber engine - unbelievably valid point You have one supporter here! Although I fear ZenGl pretty much up and did that already