Thread: The future of Pascal as language for games

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by czar View Post
    You can make commercially successful games without spending massive of amounts of money. Take Angry Birds, written in LUA. The hard part coming up with a brilliant idea and pulling it off with style.
    Definitely.

A good idea isn't enough, you also need good style, good execution and good marketing/buzz.

The game mechanics of Angry Birds f.i. were not invented by Angry Birds, there have been quite a few (more or less experimental) predecessors, and where Angry Birds succeeded was in:
    - having cutesy characters that "scaled" well in the real-world and had enough fun/appeal (ie. good stylistic ideas, predecessors were unimaginative bomb or rock throwing)
    - great execution on churning out levels and themes to keep the trend going (most predecessors had neither the polish nor the quantity)
    - great marketing (viral buzz "the way it has to be done")

Overall I would say the code and engine are the simplest and cheapest part in terms of man/hours.

I put my 2 cents a bit late, but better late than never, and sorry if I perhaps repeat what said other people, I writing it in a rush need to support the language :$.

The fact is that you can do anything with Delphi, the other fact is that many people sweat only for Unity these years and so the old Objective-C. The fun of that is that the use of this language before it was lost in the fog.

We mustn't forget that Delphi must thanks to FreePascal/Lazarus duo to keep the language afloat, especially since there's no free version of Delphi for basic use. Visual Studio and Unity start free... But it's also a beaten debate...

Borland marketing is for a lot of the state of Delphi today, why ? because its main market position was for database dev, not very fancy isn't it ?

Embarcadero apparently try to break that with Firemonkey.

that's my 2 cents
    Current (and lifetime) project: FAR Colony
    https://www.farcolony.com/