Thread: The future of Pascal as language for games

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    This is a sacred war that will never end.

One of the origin of this "Pascal isn't a good language" thinking are schools (or it is in Spain). Some schools used Pascal to teach programming basics but they used old and obsolete Turbo Pascal compilers for DOS. Also most programming teachers actually don't know to program in Pascal! Some months ago, in a Spanish forum, somebody asked for help for an exercise. I tell him to wipe out Turbo Pascal and use Lazarus+Free Pascal. When he shows the exercise to the teacher he was in trouble because the teacher didn't believed him and he should install Lazarus and compiled the program to show the teacher he didn't used VisualStudio. That is a big handicap against Pascal.

About the"über-engine", I'll support this too. After the 2nd PGD Challenge I'm learning more OpenGL stuff to upgrade the engine I wrote. I know it will never beat Doom3 but I'll be happy if I can beat Polymost...

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Pascal is the most aesthetic and usable language ever, so future of it won't change. Only aesthetes and coders will use it, not mainstream And under "coders" I mean "people who find great pleasure in the art of Computer Programming"(c) Urban Dictionary.
    Last edited by Ñuño Martínez; 30-05-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    No signature provided yet.