Thread: Monsterland - not a typical sidescroller

Monsterland - not a typical sidescroller

This is my project that is approaching release:
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/monsterland

Written in FPC+SDL, it auto-scales to any display resolution. It will probably start looking pixely at 2500xsomething, but on 1920x1080 it still looks fine.

It feels like "Doom" in terms of gameplay, with similar weapons, and scripted events of various complexity taking place, and it has a story. There's a lot of voiceover in the game, mostly of colony computer, and a character or two.

Also, it has devious monsters - none of them are particularly smart, but they have different behaviors and "qualities". I.E. one of them shoots a BFG-like blast past you, as long as it thinks the splash damage might reach you. Some of them dodge rockets. Or try to keep distance and snipe at you from behind cover. Or have stealth capabilities.

There was 2-player campaign coop over LAN, but I shelved it due to wanting to release a stable game before turning 90 years old.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This looks really good. What are your long term plans? Free / commercial? I don't think there's much demand for this type of game -- it's not quite a roguelike and not quite an action shooter. The lack of animations and grid movement seem a little odd for this style of game.

It does look sort of confusing though. In the video on indiedb there are so many places for the player to go, I imagine it will be difficult to know where to go next unless you design the levels differently with that in mind. Related to this, the areas seem really confined in the video. I imagine you might design some different areas later (e.g. in an entirely new environment).

The style of gameplay should be familiar to anyone who's played "Doom". The control scheme should be familiar to anyone who's played "The Binding Of Isaac" - or, going farther back, "Robotron".

What's shown in the video is the first 4 minutes out of 3.5-4 hours overall of gameplay that has already been created. Some tweaking is still pending for the map in question, namely in the area of green key.

I may create simple 2-frame animations for monsters yet. Not sure.

As for market demand... it's not a concept I subscribe to.

I have two other games, one of which is in engine prototype stage and its gameplay mechanics do not fall into any established genre. It's not an RTS, it's not an RPG, it's not a hybrid. It was inspired by a TV show. The market cannot possibly demand it, because it has no concept of it at all. But it will be made nonetheless.