Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few reflections on Oxygene and Pascal.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Paul and Peter, did you guys both get your free copies of Oxygene for Java from RemObjects yet? (for taking part in the 2nd PGD Challenge and using Oxygene)
    Eh no, don't think so. Do I need to take some special action?
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

Quote Originally Posted by pstudio View Post
    3. Remobjects offers Script for .Net. I haven't tried it but I guess that would offer all you could wish for in Pascal scripting. http://www.remobjects.com/downloads.aspx#free
    I think this is JavaScript. I'm not sure because there are no examples

I haven't tested it myself, but it does say:

RemObjects Script for .NET
    Managed JavaScript and Pascal Script for .NET and Mono, based on the Dynamic Language Runtime (DLR)
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

Managed JavaScript and Pascal Script for .NET and Mono, based on the Dynamic Language Runtime (DLR)
    This is very good news, thanks =)

Quote Originally Posted by pstudio View Post
    Eh no, don't think so. Do I need to take some special action?
    I did ask them about mine, they might need some memory jogging LOL

Perhaps you could ask Jim McKeeth (jim AT remobjects.com)?
    Last edited by paul_nicholls; 03-07-2012 at 11:26 PM.

ok, I might take a shot at contacting Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by mobilus View Post
    1. If Oxygene is really for pascal programmers or Oxygene is for C# and Java programmers?
    IMHO not. Oxygene is more a transition horse product for people that (for some reason) want to leave pascal, but don't dare to do it in one step. The syntax is somewhat familiar, but not much more.

So I think Oxygene is mostly for pascal hobbyists (and professional people that are not into fulltime programming).

More hardcore programmers either stick with Delphi/pascal, or migrate to whatever is most suitable for their audience (be it Java, C# or C++, and a few that are deep into iOS apps might select Objective C).

And usually people that think that they have to leave a platform that is becoming a niche, don't migrate to a platform that is even a larger niche.

Why Oxygene don't speak with his Father? Look at the figure below.
    Well, basically because there is no real relation other than some minor syntax. IMHO Pascal is the grandfather (via C#) rather than the father. Technology and platform are totally different.

2. Is it possible to use Oxygene with PssStudio (PSVita SDK uses Mono), CryMono, Unity3D or other tools based on Mono Develop?
    (For now, I managed to connect only with XNA.)
    Maybe, but does it make sense? You will be one of the very few to attempt that, and despite a less familiar language, going directly to Mono Develop might be easier. (because the support and example situation is easier)

Blog Entries
    I think there is a few misconceptions being put out here about Oxygene. I know this because I've talked with both Jim and Marc (but more Jim than Marc) from RemObjects about Oxygene and where they would like to go with the tools and new language they are building at their company.

Oxygene is not some fad tool for getting out of Pascal. Far from it. Actually they have tried to define it as a NEW language based on the common Object Pascal. Yes to play nice in all these platforms you need to bend your code a bit here and there. ie. in Java-land you need to treat things in a specific way that is different in .NET/Mono-land. The same goes for the upcoming Mac and iOS land. You could think of it as a C++ to C as it is Oxygene to your Object Pascal.

(Take that C++! Where is your C+++? )

The one thing that I like that they are doing and that all other tool makers are not really doing 100% is targeting a "platform" so the output to that platform is 100% native as the technology had intended for it. Not Embarcadero and not even the Free Pascal dev guys, though they are pretty close.

"But Jason, they support interpreted and managed platforms?!?!"

Yes that is also true. However, just because a platform is interpreted or managed doesn't mean the compiler can't conform to what is supposed to be run and output that. It runs native on Java RTE and Android as well as on .NET and Mono platforms. The new Nougat project which will most likely become Oxygene for Mac/iOS outputs native Mac and iOS code thanks to some really smart designs that work with Xcode on a Mac. (Tested and proven! )

RO never intended to move people away from Object Pascal, but instead create a new evolution of the platform to conform to today's platforms. Something that other teams have failed to to in the past. It's probably the only tool that you can use to get your game/app to run on all platforms using a single code-base. I'm currently porting Subject 33 to it for this very purpose and I've considered porting Garland's Quest over to it.

Like all the C variants out there. I think Pascal deserves it's own extended family too.

As far as libraries, well Paul and I are using libGDX for S33, it isn't Pascal-based (it's Java-based), though it'll work well on almost all of the platforms we want so it's a good match. There are lots and lots of game libraries out there that Oxygene can take advantage of, you just have to seek them out.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12