Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to implement an online high score table?

How to implement an online high score table?

I wonder how to implement an online high score table. I think I could use a PHP script on the server side and communicate with my Pascal game. I have no clue about PHP, though. Has anyone a hint? Maybe even a ready-to-use script? Or am I totally wrong?
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

I once did this for Alexland. Since I didn't really want to dwell into how to send proper HTTP requests and send data via POST, I used some unit for simple web fetching and passed all the data through GET. So it was kind like

Unit.ConnectToSite('http://mysite.com');
    Unit.GetDocument('http://mysite.com/scores/mygame/script.php?data1=value1&data2=value2');

I had three scripts on the server side:
    info.php - this one returned the modification date of the high-scores - no need to download them if nothing changed, eh?
    get.php - as can be guessed, this one returned the high-score table
    submit.php - used to send the scores

Whereas what info.php and get.php should return is obvious, my submit.php returned one of the following:
    <a number> - means the score you submitted made it into the table and holds the <number> place
    sorry - the score did not make it to the table
    error - the score is lacking data or somehow else damaged
    gtfo - the score has already been submitted or it's checksum is wrong - you're probably cheating
    version - wrong game version

'error' and 'version' could also be returned by info.php and get.php, to signalize errors.

If you want, I could send You the script I used, of course after modyfing it a bit (so I won't give out much of the game ) and adding some comments.

I think that's exactly what I need. If you would be so kind to send me the script(s), I'll be more than thankful.
    Oh, another question: on the Freepascal side, do you use Synaptic or anything else? (SDL_net?)
    EDIT: Sorry, I meant Synapse ...
    Last edited by Cybermonkey; 15-08-2012 at 01:15 PM.
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Sorry for the delay, I was a bit busy yesterday evening.

http://svgames.pl/trash/netscores.zip
    I hope everything's commented clearly enough. As for the FP side, the game was made using SDL, so I went with SDL_net.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Vegeta View Post
    Sorry for the delay, I was a bit busy yesterday evening.

http://svgames.pl/trash/netscores.zip
    I hope everything's commented clearly enough. As for the FP side, the game was made using SDL, so I went with SDL_net.
    Okay, thanks a lot. I will have a look into it at this evening.
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Did you take security into account, so that not anyone can open the link and add nonsense-scores?

In the downloadable script there's no such thing. In my game I used a simple hash that was calculated by the game and attached to the values sent, the script then calculated the hash again and checked if they matched.

Blog Entries
    Very cool topic!

If you had purchased a web hosting package you could use the domain and access the database server that the hosting uses. There are a lot of libraries that will allow you to access various database servers. PHP is not really necessary unless you want to add some interaction with the game it's self and a website. ie. displaying highscores or some kind of weekly or monthly stats on a site you designed for the game.

You can however do a lot of neat things if you did setup a databse to receive data from your game such as hosting exciting screenshots from players once they hit a new top highscore and create user accounts for your game kind of like Blizzard does.

Free hosting can be a problem if you want stability so you should consider the low cost of paying a more solid hosting provider if you try this option.

Besides the web hosting options they do have other highscore/award system services for different platforms such as iOS, Mac OS X (with the new Mountain Lion 10.8 version) and Android. Using these would depend on the API or libraries they provide to developers to use. Only C-based headers/libraries would of course mean translation too.

BTW Would anybody be interested in such a library/service if it were provided to Pascal game developers as a simple library file they could add to their games?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Yes, I thought about using it on my web host (not free but paid).
    And I would be very interested in such a simple library!
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Blog Entries
    To make your own custom you'd want to find a decent and easy to use library (no dynamic libraries if possible) for accessing a MySQL database from your webserver.

What comes with the standard install of FPC?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast