Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Dead, just resting: What would juice this community?

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Not Dead, just resting: What would juice this community?

Hey folks!

Sorry it seems like I've been away a lot lately. I have been quite busy with some of my more serious than ever projects and my family is growing by 1 very soon. (It'll be a girl! )

You all know that I like to stick my nose in all those places that it may or may not belong (you choose, I obviously don't care You read the "sticking nose" part right?) such as talking up and the FPC dev team including Florian himself, nagging Delphi poster guy David I. or talking with "top men" at RemObjects for reasons of getting you guys some free stuff, pushing dev tools towards our interests or trying to get new platforms officially supported. Thanks again Francesco!

Well what would help really juice the community here? More moderators, more connections with social mediums such as Facebook & Twitter? Continuous news posting? (What if we hired a guy or paid you somehow for your news posting?)

Would more community ran projects help?

Would another PGD Challenge compo do the trick? (Sorry we were late on publishing results. They will be up very, very soon!)

What if we had some kind of special service that you can easily adapt to your games that would help provide a game center-like presence for high scores and award systems? (It would be named something cool and not be overly patriotic about all things "Pascal". But it would be made with Pascal game dev first in mind.)

What if we struck a deal with a major player in the Pascal dev tool industry to start doing something great for game developers?

Would new console development that actually has a chance of happening make a difference? Who doesn't want their games on theirs and other's TV screen with gamepad-like play? Are you excited about the OUYA?

Tell us what you think and what would make you excited about this community!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I would LOVE to port my game engine(which is already a bit functional) to work on OUYA development, but I think that they will build the hardware to work only with the Android API. And this is really discouraging for me.
    Last edited by FelipeFS; 16-08-2012 at 12:20 PM.

I'm mainly into games for desktop PC's Would be cool if someone managed to get his game on Steam. I have actually no TV or android capable small device, and absolute no desire to get one...

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Hey folks!

Sorry it seems like I've been away a lot lately. I have been quite busy with some of my more serious than ever projects and my family is growing by 1 very soon. (It'll be a girl! )
    Congratulations!
    inc(family) here too, but it will be a boy

You all know that I like to stick my nose in all those places that it may or may not belong (you choose, I obviously don't care You read the "sticking nose" part right?) such as talking up and the FPC dev team including Florian himself, nagging Delphi poster guy David I. or talking with "top men" at RemObjects for reasons of getting you guys some free stuff, pushing dev tools towards our interests or trying to get new platforms officially supported. Thanks again Francesco!
    You are welcome

Well what would help really juice the community here? More moderators, more connections with social mediums such as Facebook & Twitter? Continuous news posting? (What if we hired a guy or paid you somehow for your news posting?)

Would more community ran projects help?

Would another PGD Challenge compo do the trick? (Sorry we were late on publishing results. They will be up very, very soon!)

What if we had some kind of special service that you can easily adapt to your games that would help provide a game center-like presence for high scores and award systems? (It would be named something cool and not be overly patriotic about all things "Pascal". But it would be made with Pascal game dev first in mind.)

What if we struck a deal with a major player in the Pascal dev tool industry to start doing something great for game developers?

Would new console development that actually has a chance of happening make a difference? Who doesn't want their games on theirs and other's TV screen with gamepad-like play? Are you excited about the OUYA?

Tell us what you think and what would make you excited about this community!
    Maybe some code snippets aimed to game development? I mean, we could even create a library by categorizing the tricks and the code snippets that have been posted in the forum over the years. Or some small examples that could attract beginners, like: drawing and moving sprites, collision detection, tile based maps, parallax scrolling, platform engine and gravity, etc.
    Oh, and I like the "Image Of The Day" idea, that pops out every now and then
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

Blog Entries
    New platforms is always cool. Especially when the tools support them and you don't have to explore a scary code jungle to make it work.

Something that Lifepower would complain about is not enough Delphi stuff. Frankly from my end, there is nothing new to report about it other than what Embt releases. So it falls on you guys to post your general Object Pascal code stuff. I know noone here has claimed that we gave up on Delphi, (yet ) but to those that would I'd suggest that those people post more Delphi related things. I'm too busy to post everything out there unfortunately.

The way I see how the site functions now, I can post the links, report the news and help with the networking/cataloging part of the community, but for content like that, it's up to the members to post it and provide it. Not sure how we are going to encourage people to do something that we've asked them to do (for the community) all along and still hasn't happened. What would you (all) propose we do to get people to write these mini tutorials?

Image of the Day is something that I have been pondering for a while. The site software does lend it's self to make it easy to do honestly.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Well, the activity here is quite low, so Image of the Day might be too much, but Image of the Week should be good.

Also, how's PGM4 holding up? I sent You some articles back in the while; maybe they could get a place among site's articles too?

Blog Entries
    Yes, you are right. I meant to say Week or Month not Day.

I'm not sure what we will be doing for the near future of Pascal Gamer "Magazine". We (and I actually mean we this time) are working on what will be Issue 4, however I'm hoping to be able to work in a different format. I'd love to do something exciting with iBooks Author, but not everyone has iOS devices. If there was a technology that was like it that could lend it's self to all platforms, as all Pascal programmers are span many mobile and desktop platforms, I'd be willing to look at it. I'd like future issues to be more than simple print to paper format.

As for Pascal Gamer it's self, it still has a place in the community other than the magazine. My plan is to start doing podcasts with my new Pascal Gamer partner. Who that is, I'll leave until he decides to reveal himself. Or something gets released.

I'm open to others joining me on Pascal Gamer, but I'd be foolish not to illicit their help in adding content and keeping PGD active first and foremost. Still no beginner tutorial article authors yet.

I hope to do a podcast for sometime next month if possible. We will be looking at who will be the first guest. Someone who has released a game or done something else really great. I've already installed the software on my Mac that can to all the work.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog syndication ala DelphiFeeds, but more game oriented could be good too (not sure how much activity there really is though).
    For IOTD, not sure what the site supports, but using pages and rss, it could be done in js rather than php, which might be simpler?

Blog Entries
    I've been trying to get PGD's News on DelphiFeeds. There are somewhere over 80+ votes towards this and we are the top suggestion for the better part of a year now. Why we are not added is beyond me, but how else can I get the guy's attention?

There is a lot of game related news. However most aren't posting their game projects here and I've not had the kind of time to seek many of them out. Cezar and Momor are making a killing, I'm sure, creating games. Then there is the Russia community at IGDC, but they don't usually post about them here. Not so sure about the German community, but I've heard very little about it here. Sascha Willems is of course working on his project slowly.

Warning: I get a little ranty here...

There is a lot going on, but in truth the community its self has only it's self to blame. I've been pushing the news and going "out of my way" to find all the ins and outs over the years. Then when I get busy I stop and you notice how all that exposure and activity seems to disappear from the site? I was told when I joinned the first forums that the site is what "I" made of it. And it's true. This is what "you" make of it and if you want it to go quiet, then let it go quiet. If you want activity and news posts, then post. I paid for the site domain and hosting to be up until 2016. I paid for the portal and forums software that runs the site so everyone can post in the forums and make news posts that will be seen on the front page and can all be syndicated via RSS. It's there for you guys. So use it.

End rantiness...

The only major issue we have right now technically is new membership to the site. Spammers are aware of whats running the site and they know the vulnerabilities of the software. The only sure way to keep them out is to have a human gateway. That's the admins manually changing them from a restrictive access to the New Members forum only until we can deem them no longer a threat and give them access to the rest from that point. Sadly Athena's script seems to be a little glitchy and it's not working as planned. I don't know if this is really such a huge thing as new users barely post again after that.

I lied, there is another major problem and that's this funny spam that keeps showing up from Google. I go to post the www.pascalgamedevelopment.com domain on Facebook and I see it everytime. That can't help our reputation. I don't know where this spam is, but I'm about to give it a huge bounty on it's head. Fix it and keep it away permanently I'm considering a nice prize for that person who does so.

Barring that we have a lot of registered members at PGD. We're linked into Facebook somewhat. And I've been tweeting about all kinds of stuff that goes on here. Maybe when the podcasts start up Pascal Gamer will pickup activity and that'll help bring more interested parties.

So if anyone wants to help where we've dropped the ball or are stuck, these are a list of things you can do or help with.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    I do want to point out on a very positive note, that the PGD Challenge competitions have been a total joy to do. We have had at least a handful to take part and the results have always been quite fun to play with. I'm planning on getting up the PGD Challenge Showcase site soon. The domain is reserved and just waiting for me to have time to get it up and available to you all. So thanks for being patient in waiting for that. I hope to share that with you soon!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast