View Poll Results: What kind of game project are you working on?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing at all. Too busy.

1 3.03%
  • None, just game engines or tools.

3 9.09%
  • I make simple free stuff for fun.

6 18.18%
  • I'm working on a commercial project and can talk about it much. (NDA, etc)

4 12.12%
  • I'm working on my own creator-owned project.

12 36.36%
  • I have a lot of prototypes/ideas, but I don't really have any concrete plans.

7 21.21%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is writing a game?

Quote Originally Posted by farcodev View Post
    It's a bit early for some tutorials, FARC lack of many things yet.
    I figured that out myself.

Thansk for your interest
    If I would have known then that it is made in Delphi I would have definitly contacted you and maybe even offer my help (probably wouldn't be of much help since then I had almost no game development expirience but still). As for now I do have three projects of mine in development (two are currently on hold) and I also keep close eye on two games which are still in development phase (none of them is being made in pascal - shame) and offer some of my ideas to the authors. Just for quencing your curiosity theese two games are Towns and Gnomoria (I did lose a bit of interest in Towns).
    Anywhay maybe some day in future I guve your game another try and come up with some ideas. If I do you will be the first to know :-)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    I figured that out myself.

If I would have known then that it is made in Delphi I would have definitly contacted you and maybe even offer my help (probably wouldn't be of much help since then I had almost no game development expirience but still). As for now I do have three projects of mine in development (two are currently on hold) and I also keep close eye on two games which are still in development phase (none of them is being made in pascal - shame) and offer some of my ideas to the authors. Just for quencing your curiosity theese two games are Towns and Gnomoria (I did lose a bit of interest in Towns).
    Anywhay maybe some day in future I guve your game another try and come up with some ideas. If I do you will be the first to know :-)
    Wow 3 projects at least you're fully busy. Gnomoria seems to be a good easier alternative than DF.

I hope FARC will not be with show stoppers bugs as in the Alpha 1 and 2 when you'll test it (two are already fixed the two other will be for the Alpha 4 release).
    Current (and lifetime) project: FAR Colony
    https://www.farcolony.com/

Wow 3 projects at least you're fully busy
    It would be better if I would have only one proyect so I can concentrate more easily.

I hope FARC will not be with show stoppers bugs as in the Alpha 1 and 2 when you'll test it (two are already fixed the two other will be for the Alpha 4 release).
    Then I'll wait till they get fixed. Keep us posted about your progress.

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    I would avoid referring to your project as FARC if I were you, last thing you want is to be flagged on some terrorist watch list
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

Currently im working on a 3D map editor, i actually worked on it since 2008, rewrote it hundreds of times and now i have to do it again, because im unable to find fast object picking for my editor.
    Tried many things and most of them fail or are too slow.

The rest of the features are easy. The editor is for specific game, made in 1999, my most favorite game and that's why i work on map editor for 5 years now, i had many months of doing my other things, while this project was just "freezed".

Now im again on it. Im doing it in OpenGL and Delphi 7 Personal Ed.

For me, making this editor, is alot more interesting than making some game.
    Im not much of a gamer, i only play few games, including the favorite one.

Quote Originally Posted by hwnd View Post
    Currently im working on a 3D map editor, i actually worked on it since 2008, rewrote it hundreds of times and now i have to do it again, because im unable to find fast object picking for my editor.
    Tried many things and most of them fail or are too slow.

The rest of the features are easy. The editor is for specific game, made in 1999, my most favorite game and that's why i work on map editor for 5 years now, i had many months of doing my other things, while this project was just "freezed".

Now im again on it. Im doing it in OpenGL and Delphi 7 Personal Ed.

For me, making this editor, is alot more interesting than making some game.
    Im not much of a gamer, i only play few games, including the favorite one.
    Hi hwnd, the 3d map editor sounds interesting...have you got any other information that you could share about it?

OK, i have few videos on YT, im posting the latest and better ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO3hsePugF4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSubaCJXp_A
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yWoD55tSYE

Any questions, comments?
    Sometimes movement looks laggy, but it's because video recorder.
    The program itself is very smooth.
    Im using OpenGL and Delphi 7. It was rewritten many times, if i now find a good and fast picking method, i will rewrite it again. Many things depends on it and i want to make it as good as possible. The most cool thing i want to add is animated tiles, but im not a guy who could throw out fixed FPS style animation, or even regulate FPS for each animation.
    There must be some global clock in app, on which everything is built, atm it's just Delphi TTimer, on which everything is drawn. But i don't like it.

Hopefully nxPascal will help me on this case.
    It has some timing code, dunno if i can build my animations on that.
    Everything should be on timers, even camera movement.
    With blocks there is a thing: each block could have a animation with his own FPS, (how fast tiles are animating). I once tried it with another TTimer, but it was ugly.

So, timing and good picking is the most needed things atm.

EDIT: but at the same time, i don't like that the editor will take 100% CPU.
    But it should redraw fast, i tried TThreadedTimer and set it interval to 1ms. It was good, because user can just "paint" tiles on blocks and editor should draw them immediately without any delay. That's why 1ms timer. Although i know that TTimer is limited to >16ms
    Last edited by hwnd; 28-08-2012 at 09:37 AM.

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hwnd View Post
    EDIT: but at the same time, i don't like that the editor will take 100% CPU.
    But it should redraw fast, i tried TThreadedTimer and set it interval to 1ms. It was good, because user can just "paint" tiles on blocks and editor should draw them immediately without any delay. That's why 1ms timer. Although i know that TTimer is limited to >16ms
    A couple of ways to limit your frame-rate (pseudo Code) :

ATime := GetTime();
    Render();
    While (GetTime() - ATime) < TimePerFrame do
    begin

Sleep(1);

{This will free up the CPU - tells the OS Scheduler it can do some other stuff NOTE : it's not garunteed to sleep for exactly 1ms, only garunteed to wait *at least* 1ms. it could sleep for 10ms in this example, for example.}

end;

You could use VSync on it's own - that'll just wait on GL Swap Buffer if it's called before it's time for the next frame but the above method offers more control. You should leave VSync enabled regardless, if you want to measure performance it's much better to time how long Render(); takes rather than seeing what your max FPS is.
    Last edited by phibermon; 28-08-2012 at 02:47 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

That is close to how nxPascal game class handles it No worries, it's perfect for making smooth 60 fps animations, while keeping CPU and GPU use near 0%.

Actually i can show you. It supports frameskipping too for rendering (could make it optional though):
    Code:
      t:=nxEngine.GetTick;
      if t<nextTick then begin
        Application.ProcessMessages; Sleep(1);
      end else begin

FrameSkips:=-1;
        repeat
          inc(FrameSkips);
          nextTick:=nextTick+FrameInterval;
          GameLoop;
        until (nextTick>t) or (FrameSkips>=10) or FNoFrameSkipping;
        Draw;

end;
    Last edited by User137; 28-08-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Ok, but is it possible to take some constant and use the nxPascal "tick" to generate different animations with different framerate?
    Slower / faster.

In my case, every block could have tile animation with his own frame rate. Some anims need slower FR, some bigger FR and still be same on any PC?
    I mean animation that has slower framerate, will be actually faster in my friends computer, who has more faster pc.

So can i divide my FR value with something from that loop?
    Im beginner in timers and animation, but i always wanted to make my editor timing better.
    Just dont have enough knowledge.
    Last edited by hwnd; 28-08-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast