Thread: Need some advice for OpenGL

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Oh, best for all platforms: Linux, Windows, MacOS X.
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Blog Entries
    In that case youd either have to use glut or sdl for easy window handling. However if the objective is pure opengl from the ground up you'll unfortunately have to write code for each of those platforms. Good luck - some of the code you have to interface with can be a little archaic at times....
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Blog Entries
    If those are your main or only platforms then SDL is probably your easiest and friendliest solution. I'm not partial to GLUT myself and it doesn't do everything that SDL is going to do for you. (controller/gamepad input, audio/music mixer, some texture loading routines)

Once you have a decent SDL base to work with the rest can be all OpenGL for your graphics. The NeHe tutorials can help you get started, but I'm not sure if they cover using SDL with OpenGL. SDL is in fact designed to use OpenGL instead for graphics, that's why they bundle it together.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    The friends of fpc site has a section on starting out with the opengl/sdl combo if I recall
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Blog Entries
    Also, since we've gone through several years and different approaches to OpenGL over those years, take care to notice the date of that information. There may be more accurate or up to date literature about OpenGL for Free Pascal, Delphi or other tools. If you want the latest and greatest OpenGL stuff though, I'd recommend following Sascha Willems who run his own blog and the DelphiGL.com community for German Pascal game developers.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Okay, thanks guys. A lot of things to pay attention to ...
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

I have always wondered why they made it German programming community. Don't they think there *might* be some pascal game developers outside their country?