Thread: Asphyre is now on Google Code!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
    If you talk about Asphyre (remember, it's Asphyre thread), then the decision choosing Pascal (Delphi) was made almost 12 years ago.

If you meant why keeping the project written in Pascal? Because it is too large to be ported to other languages, which would involve enormous effort and there might be better alternatives already. For instance, if you would use C#, then XNA would be a place to start. Besides, with 64-bit platform provided by Delphi and FPC/Lazarus, Mac OS and iOS, there is no reason why would you have the need to switch to a different language/tool.

Asphyre itself, which was initially called PowerDraw, was started based on motivation from experience with DelphiX. First, it was a plugin for DelphiX to provide hardware acceleration for alpha-blending and rotation effects, but as DelphiX started to age with its outdated DirectX 7 support, Asphyre (PowerDraw) was rewritten to be a standalone package using DirectX 8 back in 2001. Indeed, the peak period of highest activity in Asphyre community are 2007 - 2009 years; you can see this by the number of posts around these times in our previous community forums.
    My apologies, I didn't make myself clear. I mean in relation to discussing the current popularity of Pascal in terms of active projects (as others were) not Asphyre directly. In fact I was trying to point out it was a mute point as a polite subtle hint to the fact that it was an Asphyre thread

I'd dearly like to see greater adoption of pascal for commercial game development and I believe that it's mature projects such as Asphyre that offer people feasible options to do just that.

Indeed I would be an avid user of Asphyre myself (as I recognize the elegant design of the current itteration) had I not chosen to focus my efforts on exploring engine design.

Keep up the excellent work! hopefully the new home on Google Code will also prompt more people to contribute to the project
    Last edited by phibermon; 21-08-2012 at 10:15 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.